• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pre-Oiler

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel the same way about pre-lubing a 45 year old engine as the way I do about the magical matched belts. Not worth the time, effort or cost.

welldigger

I feel the same way about pre-lubing a 45 year old engine as the way I do about the magical matched belts. Not worth the time, effort or cost.
I guess that depends on the application and how hard they are to find. In my case they are cheap and easy to find. In high torque applications they are essential. To run the m35 alternater....not so much.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess that depends on the application and how hard they are to find. In my case they are cheap and easy to find. In high torque applications they are essential. To run the m35 alternater....not so much.
Or a Cummins 250 alternator or a fan. Water pump maybe and though it is arguably more important than the first two they only used one belt. Doh!!

cev65

So all in all is it worth the time and money to do a pre-lube system?? Running rotella 15-40 with a gallon of Lucas oil additive to help with dry start ups.

welldigger

So all in all is it worth the time and money to do a pre-lube system?? Running rotella 15-40 with a gallon of Lucas oil additive to help with dry start ups.
No its not. I'd also stop using the lucas also. It doesn't help with dry starts anymore than quality engine oil. If anything it over thickens the oil and dilutes it's additive package.

Jeepsinker

There is no longer any need for a prelube system once you install spin on filters. My oil pressure builds in less than two seconds from pushing the start button now.

welldigger

Ok here's the deal on a prelube system vs. Just converting to spin on oil filters.

The spin on conversion will be cheaper than any real prelube system and more than likely cheaper than a cobbled together system that won't do squat anyways. You WILL need a pump that can produce the volume needed to fully fill and pressurize the oil galleys in the multifuel. Otherwise something is still being starved of oil.

That will NOT be a cheap pump.

With the spin on filter conversion you get full oil pressure in 4 seconds at longest. Usually 2 or 3. This is the same or close to the same as your daily driver chevrolet, ford, Honda, whatever you drive.

So, do you plan on installing a prelube system on your Honda or whatever? Probably not. Yet your normal car or truck will likely see 10x or more dry starts than your deuce has seen in its entire 30 plus year lifetime.

oddshot

A number of folks have built pre-lubers from cheap components. This thread shows what can be done with the oil pump from a Chrysler 318 and a junk yard starter motor.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?21126-Pre-Post-Lubrication-System-Done

Personally, I think the bottlework's timing device is a bit of over kill but understand that he is both PRE lubing as well as POST lubing to help turbo cool down.

Less the cost of the timer, this setup is cheaper than the spin-on filter kits and has the additional benefit that it cools the turbo on shut down. Bottleworks reports getting 30psi in the engine in 30 seconds.

As I say, a number of folks have put together systems fairly cheaply that will fill the filters and passage ways AND deliver about 30 psi of oil pressure before cranking the engine.

Here's another thread. It match with the video previously posted: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ess-iz-INSTANT-oil-pressure&highlight=prelube

I'm pretty sure Satchsquatch Santa (and others) have had success with these types of home-built systems as well. I did a search for other threads I remembered, but they may have too old to bring up.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks