• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Press size for Hypoid/Spur Gear removal 2.5 ton differential??

Toploader

Going through a couple of spare differentials and need to press out the spur gear/hypoid gear. The manual simply states to "put it into press". Anyone know the actual tonnage required to press this out? When I do buy a press, I want to be sure I can do this in the future. Pic below shows where I'm at. Thanks

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most shop presses are 12-20 tons. If its a one time deal, have a shop do it, if you are buying, I'd recommend a 20.

Toploader

Updating this:
I ended up with a 20 ton HF press, been wanting one anyway. It did the job but it took some good pressure to get it started. Once it "popped" it was easy going. I stood off to the side and good thing as it turns out the bearing race blew apart. Must not of been seated correctly
. 004.jpg005.jpg

davo727

I have heard the cast cross plates that harbor freight gives with its presses like to shatter, lots of injurys. Best to get some good steel bars to set your work item on and turn in those cast ones at scrapyard.

Toploader

Thanks Davo, I knew about the plates being junk, I use a 1-1/2" thick steel plate. A 6" piece of 1/4 wall pipe worked good for supporting the diff. Plenty of room for the gear to pass through. And just for reference, the spur gear just passes through the bed of the press, I had to rotate it a small amount for it to drop out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks