• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Preventing issues with balance beads maybe?

coachgeo

in post linked below and a few post after; two of our "super users" you could say brought up adding some filters into CTIS for generic reasons. This sparked a thought on doing that for stopping concerns about using balance beads with CTIS... Didn't want to Hijack the thread that filter was brought up.... soooooo here we are. Questtion is.. can a filter be put in anywhere to alleviate the CTIS conflict concerns .. and if so where.

20230408_141844.jpg

Last edited:

Ronmar

There is already a filter at the tire side of the wheel valve(small fitting port)...

you can't put a filter in just anywhere as it may effect the ability to close the wheel valves, as was the case in a recent problem discussion.

After the valve(tire side, like shown) is OK, and on the supply line feeding the CTIS PCU would probably be OK, and would only possibly effect fill/deflate speed. That in itself could cause CTIS to fault, but the white plastic filter already on the tire side of the wheel valve does not appear to cause any issues...

Last edited:

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We don't need another filter. We only require beads large enough not to clog the ones we have—

Old thread, but thought since I had not seen a lot of real-world experience results utilizing the media beads-
Here is what I have found that works very well with my set up-

FMTV 6X6 w Titan steel wheels with rubber Huchingson bead lockers. 395 85 R20 load range L tires, 11,500 lb at 130 psi max
(these are heavier than the G range)
I Average 8K annually.
I Started with:

1. (new) (395 80 R20) Good Year MVTs
2. true the wheels, at LEAST dump your dented or out of round ones. if they are questionable, *tru them by throwing them away and buying new ones.
3. MEDIA -80, grade 440 1/2 in. stainless steel balls totaling 24 ounces *per tire- THIS BALANCES THE TIRES
4. Balance the wheel. the CTIS assembly, nuts, base plate and hoses equal about 2lb 1 oz. offset that weight on the opposite side with weights,
( I used 8 and 10 ounce lead fishing weights, see pictures, two different styles) THIS BALANCES THE WHEEL

On the road, 0 to 40 mph the attached wheel weights kept the low-speed shimmy and bounce from appearing.
Above 40, the media kicks in and smooths the ride out even more.
My test to 65 mph brought me coffee-cup-on-the-dash smoothness. This mod has changed the way this truck rides completely.
** discovered when dismounting and checking takeoffs.
(one wheel was a throw away, the inside rim of a wheel was factory pressed 1/4 off of true. Additionally, I believe a tire had a broken belt or two from off road rocking)

Cost: balance beads/bearings $140.00 (BC Precision dot com) Fishing weights $2.00-$3.00

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
in post linked below and a few post after; two of our "super users" you could say brought up adding some filters into CTIS for generic reasons. This sparked a thought on doing that for stopping concerns about using balance beads with CTIS... Didn't want to Hijack the thread that filter was brought up.... soooooo here we are. Questtion is.. can a filter be put in anywhere to alleviate the CTIS conflict concerns .. and if so where.

View attachment 920927
tire goop will clog that lil filter up faster than a MAGA hat downtown NYC
unless yur tires are soooper clean

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was trying to be sarcastic toward coachgeo's pulverization comment and missed the mark. I quoted @Gunny 0369 suggestion of SS beads. They are in my shop awaiting installation—

Last edited:

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
no one is considering goop.. beads and goops very different stuff..... Goop with CTIS..... no way.
Coach,
When you’re replacing these tires, and using new ones, not an issue. But a lot of these trucks came with that crazy goop that they used to install the run flats into the tires.
I scooped out two or three handfuls full,. before I swapped out my tires eventually with new tires.
What I meant was, if you don’t get all that out of there, these balance balls will probably stick to that goop and not work as efficiently as designed.

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Balance or make sure they are true?
Do both of course.

Balance that wheel… the CTIS assembly, nuts, base plate and hoses equal about 2lb 1 oz. offset that weight on the opposite side with weights,
( I used 8 and 10 ounce lead fishing weights, see pictures, above two different styles) THIS BALANCES THE WHEEL.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do both of course.

Balance that wheel… the CTIS assembly, nuts, base plate and hoses equal about 2lb 1 oz. offset that weight on the opposite side with weights,
( I used 8 and 10 ounce lead fishing weights, see pictures, above two different styles) THIS BALANCES THE WHEEL.
Right. I have the fishing weights already, too–

coachgeo

Coach,
When you’re replacing these tires, and using new ones, not an issue. But a lot of these trucks came with that crazy goop that they used to install the run flats into the tires.
I scooped out two or three handfuls full,. before I swapped out my tires eventually with new tires.
What I meant was, if you don’t get all that out of there, these balance balls will probably stick to that goop and not work as efficiently as designed.
ahhhhhhhh.... makes sense now. Thanks

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As the originator of the pic in post #1, I can confirm no adverse effects felt or observed in the first ~3k+ miles with those sintered filters at the end of the chain. Install was laborious but simple. I will do it to any additional wheels/tires I build up as I think it's worth the effort.

The beads I am using are ceramic and fairly small, so I would be worried about their migration into the CTIS. They might actually be larger than the air line orifice, but if they ever did start breaking down, I would be worried about clogging issues. This way, I don't have to.

I should also mention that my CTIS is strictly manual, a la Ronmar's method. No CPU, just a pair of switches and a dual pressure gauge. The filters seem to flow well enough and I think would perform just fine with the OEM controller running the show.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks