• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Price of a full frag 6 armor kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If armor were only as simple as that....
We had a fella work with us a few years back that worked in a place that armored custom vehicles and they coverd every square inch of the Mercedes and Bentleys interiors he had lots of pictures of the work he did like the bellys of the cars and suvs for being mine resistant but it was most time spent with lazar cutters cutting out each little piece to be welded . And on a flat humvee door should be easy to cut out and seem up if thats what you want and its no problem to get bullet resistant windows made to order

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That little bit right there exemplifies my statement. The problematic words are underlined too.
Am i missing something in all this ? If the man wants to have bullet resistant doors on his humvee any average welder should be able to build doors or bolt on hard panels and heavy hinges .Hes in california not afganistan im pretty sure he probably will never get shot at in his truck unless hes into illeagle stuff ..

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am i missing something in all this ? If the man wants to have bullet resistant doors on his humvee any average welder should be able to build doors or bolt on hard panels and heavy hinges .Hes in california not afganistan im pretty sure he probably will never get shot at in his truck unless hes into illeagle stuff ..
HAZ at the welds, and 7018 isn't AR500.

Granted, unlikely to be a real problem.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's more to it than just slapping "AR500" on something and calling it armor. AR500 isn't "armor
HAZ at the welds, and 7018 isn't AR500.

Granted, unlikely to be a real problem.
Also the "flat" aspect of things.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's more to it than just slapping "AR500" on something and calling it armor. AR500 isn't "armor

Also the "flat" aspect of things.
I understand that angles make metal thicker that shooting into flat plate but every armored humvee door that i have seen were flat and if he wants to hang 600 lb doors on his truck and ride around L.A. go for it . Im not trying to make light of people that make military armor im making a point that he can have someone build him doors that will protect him from normal run of the mill thug gun calibers in the U.S. without trying to buy military armor .

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not about making it thicker. It's about deflecting as much energy as possible.
while true, the only way to achieve this is thickness and angles, as witnessed by how the hmmwv armor packages are applied via FRAG levels “confusing in its own Right”. there are no slopes on a hmmwv for the most part, the perimeter armor is both ballistic grade and aluminum, laid on as part of FRAG packages, early armor is “composite armor” no longer used. Anyone can weld steel on a truck, most ammunition encountered will be pistol calibers, that’s easy to defeat, rifle calibers too stateside due to all FMJ and not AP….now, once you encounter a true AP round? Well….that’s where all bets are off.

Autonomy_Lost

while true, the only way to achieve this is thickness and angles, as witnessed by how the hmmwv armor packages are applied via FRAG levels “confusing in its own Right”. there are no slopes on a hmmwv for the most part, the perimeter armor is both ballistic grade and aluminum, laid on as part of FRAG packages, early armor is “composite armor” no longer used. Anyone can weld steel on a truck, most ammunition encountered will be pistol calibers, that’s easy to defeat, rifle calibers too stateside due to all FMJ and not AP….now, once you encounter a true AP round? Well….that’s where all bets are off.
AP, API, and APIT rifle rounds are all currently legal under federal US law. You can have 50BMG API shipped right to your door (state law varies however).

Side note, can I ask why some members are talking about being thrown out for discussing armor? Is there some legal implication that I don't know about?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AP, API, and APIT rifle rounds are all currently legal under federal US law. You can have 50BMG API shipped right to your door (state law varies however).

Side note, can I ask why some members are talking about being thrown out for discussing armor? Is there some legal implication that I don't know about?
This thread went from A-Z and other posts were deleted ......

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

well aware…that’s not my point, an Abrams can be knocked out too with the right round, I’m referring to what 99.9% of what you would encounter CONUS.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do the green tip rufos 50 cal rounds do on military armor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks