• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

prices on 1097a2 vs 1152

jeffputts

Hi all, please forgive my ignorance as I'm working on making my first purchase from govplanet. I did a lot of bidding today (didnt win any) after researching here the past couple months. Im only looking at running/driving trucks with the 4l80e since its my first. not afraid of wrenching but lets starts slow. What i noticed was the 1097a2 in NJ went for stupid money, like 13-15k including a 2man truck! i was also bidding on a couple 1152's in CA and they were sub 10k. form what I read the 1152 would be a better up to date truck having the turbo and 4 speed. Am i missing something here? appreciate any insight, doesnt seem like theres much rhyme or reason to some of the low and high bids on these

Thanks!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi all, please forgive my ignorance as I'm working on making my first purchase from govplanet. I did a lot of bidding today (didnt win any) after researching here the past couple months. Im only looking at running/driving trucks with the 4l80e since its my first. not afraid of wrenching but lets starts slow. What i noticed was the 1097a2 in NJ went for stupid money, like 13-15k including a 2man truck! i was also bidding on a couple 1152's in CA and they were sub 10k. form what I read the 1152 would be a better up to date truck having the turbo and 4 speed. Am i missing something here? appreciate any insight, doesnt seem like theres much rhyme or reason to some of the low and high bids on these

Thanks!
All it takes is two people willing to "go for it" on a bid and you can find incredibly high bids... Just need to remember that chances are you won't drive over to California and crank up your 10k truck and drive it home. Wouldn't recommend it even if it did start.

You need to factor in transportation from whatever auction site you buy from and your place in Michigan.

jeffputts

thanks im no stranger to auctions, used to buy and rebuild salvage cars. shipping is certainly as factor, im not picking one up and driving it home. wouldnt even drive it until i have serviced it! CA to here is about $1500 the other sates are a bit less ie NJ, TX, GA but nothing significant that would affect where i buy from unless theres a reason to buy from one site vs another?

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
thanks im no stranger to auctions, used to buy and rebuild salvage cars. shipping is certainly as factor, im not picking one up and driving it home. wouldnt even drive it until i have serviced it! CA to here is about $1500 the other sates are a bit less ie NJ, TX, GA but nothing significant that would affect where i buy from unless theres a reason to buy from one site vs another?
DRMO is a good location to get vehicles from

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing is it is difficult to get a HMMWV titled/licensed in CA, another is they have sold a pot load of them in CA so the market there is saturated, they are demilled armored trucks so you have to deal with all the "damage" involved, they ride like a brick on a skateboard due to the massive springs they have to handle the weight.
The extra power from the turbo is really marginal and is somewhat negated by the higher gear ratio.
It is said that every truck out of CA must have new tires as sitting in the desert causes flat spots that do not go away, of course replacing the tires on any HMMWV out of DRMO is assumed anyway.
And then there is the that's just the way it goes factor :ROFLMAO:

jeffputts

One thing is it is difficult to get a HMMWV titled/licensed in CA, another is they have sold a pot load of them in CA so the market there is saturated, they are demilled armored trucks so you have to deal with all the "damage" involved, they ride like a brick on a skateboard due to the massive springs they have to handle the weight.
The extra power from the turbo is really marginal and is somewhat negated by the higher gear ratio.
It is said that every truck out of CA must have new tires as sitting in the desert causes flat spots that do not go away, of course replacing the tires on any HMMWV out of DRMO is assumed anyway.
And then there is the that's just the way it goes factor :ROFLMAO:
thanks foir the insight ya'll. def staying away from the armored trucks, i can see all those extra holes in the body. didn't even thing about the ride quality until that was mentioned! DRMO is the Goergia site? is it the majorities opinion for drivability to just find a 1097A2 or R1 that has the GEP 6.5 and 4l80e? this will be ym up north truck, tooling around the lake, hitting some 2 tracks nothing crazy

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks foir the insight ya'll. def staying away from the armored trucks, i can see all those extra holes in the body. didn't even thing about the ride quality until that was mentioned! DRMO is the Goergia site? is it the majorities opinion for drivability to just find a 1097A2 or R1 that has the GEP 6.5 and 4l80e? this will be ym up north truck, tooling around the lake, hitting some 2 tracks nothing crazy
Most R1s are three speed trucks, there are some exceptions.
DRMO stands for Defense Reutilization Marketing Office, that is where us old timers used to buy gov. surplus, the sales were handled by private contractors on gov. posts, now handled by by GP mostly off post

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easier to work on a non-turbo truck......but no A/C usally.....and better gear ratio....1097A2 normally us army and quicker EUC...
or 1123, same as 1097A2 but no back bumper, fording parts removed, usmc Euc.

jeffputts

Easier to work on a non-turbo truck......but no A/C usally.....and better gear ratio....1097A2 normally us army and quicker EUC...
or 1123, same as 1097A2 but no back bumper, fording parts removed, usmc Euc.
good to know, quicker EUC is always good! i perosanlly like a NA diesel for ease of maintenance, one of the other posts here outlined the differences and had mentioned at this point you don't really want anything older than a REV truck so it made me pause and think about that

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
good to know, quicker EUC is always good! i perosanlly like a NA diesel for ease of maintenance, one of the other posts here outlined the differences and had mentioned at this point you don't really want anything older than a REV truck so it made me pause and think about that
The REV trucks are nice but have many expensive and hard to find components.

jeffputts

seems like most of the trucks the past couple weeks have been junk or all older 3 speeds. not much inventory showing for next week either, i think i only have 3 on my watch list that looked half decent and were 4 speed

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ummmm, just because a lot of trucks sell from Calif don’t mean that Calif is saturated with trucks, it’s an auction location, only a fraction of what’s sold is CA bound. There are only 2 locations selling turbo trucks…and Albany is quite sparse.
An A2 truck is no more difficult to work on than a turbo truck, and as far as pricing goes? Don’t EVER look for logic of any sort in these auctions, you will never find any….why someone pays 10 times for a POS and a another trucks goes for just above opening bid is one of those “Things that make you go Hmmmm”
settle on how much you have to spend…and don’t think for 2 seconds your getting some drive off ready truck because it runs, I’ve got a few acres of trucks that now run and that puts them into the $15-16k starting range once done, and that’s the bare minimum.

jeffputts

Ummmm, just because a lot of trucks sell from Calif don’t mean that Calif is saturated with trucks, it’s an auction location, only a fraction of what’s sold is CA bound. There are only 2 locations selling turbo trucks…and Albany is quite sparse.
An A2 truck is no more difficult to work on than a turbo truck, and as far as pricing goes? Don’t EVER look for logic of any sort in these auctions, you will never find any….why someone pays 10 times for a POS and a another trucks goes for just above opening bid is one of those “Things that make you go Hmmmm”
settle on how much you have to spend…and don’t think for 2 seconds your getting some drive off ready truck because it runs, I’ve got a few acres of trucks that now run and that puts them into the $15-16k starting range once done, and that’s the bare minimum.
i tried to PM you but the site wont let me yet

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks