• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Primary fuel filter "changed"

Bcurtman

I sneaked home early from work today to change the primary fuel filter on my deuce. I had replaced both secondaries Sunday, and then proceeded to run my batteries down trying to start it.

I pulled the primary canister off, and was greeted by the brass "cone" setting on top of the filter like a hat, pointed end up. Then came the filter, then the washers, spring, etc. I had searched this last night and had the filter assy diagram in front of me. I could not see how the truck was even getting fuel before, with it assembled like this.

The filter I took out was a stone type filter, I'd say it reminded me of a air stone in a fish tank. I cleaned it up and put it back together according to the drawing, and that made sense to me. We tried to pull start it, but supper was ready. Guess I'm going to have to buy new batteries. I also opened the vent on top of the fuel canisters and turned on the master switch until I had all the air out. Didn't want to fire. Of course I managed to break the little vent shaft off when I snugged it down.

Anybody seen the type of filter I'm talking about? How did it run with the hat on top of the filter-and it ran well-but always hard to start...

Bcurtman

By the way, I had the luberfiner fuel filter that came with the deuce filter "kit" that one of the members sells, but it did not look like it would self center on the canister bolt, and that's the main reason I reused the old one. I also ordered a wix 24770 base and 33405 spin on filter so I can convert this at my next change. Rockauto had both for cheap, in stock.

DieselBob

Mine had the same style primary filter as yours. The only filter I have found that self centers is the NAPA 3113/WIX33113. Even with the cone on wrong there is a fair amount of back cut up in the mount so a decent amount of fuel could still go through.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hope you didn't throw that filter out, they are re-useable! You need to turn on your power switch and bleed the air out of the fuel lines before trying to start her up.

Clay James

Mine was missing the cone and just sitting in the bottom of the canister and the same with one of the secondaries. The type you got is the reusable kind. Mine had that also. You can clean it with brake cleaner and compressed air.

joshs1ofakindxj

By the way, I had the luberfiner fuel filter that came with the deuce filter "kit" that one of the members sells, but it did not look like it would self center on the canister bolt, and that's the main reason I reused the old one. I also ordered a wix 24770 base and 33405 spin on filter so I can convert this at my next change. Rockauto had both for cheap, in stock.
Is that a bolt in swap? Do the existing lines thread into that filter base?

Bcurtman

I think yes and yes. May require a reducer if anything and drilling a couple of three mounting holes. Should be here tomorrow.

We pulled the deuce to start it this evening and I let it run to charge the batteries back up. I luv driving this thing!

Gonna see if I can get the air ride suspension bought tomorrow.

Bcurtman

I think yes and yes. May require a reducer if anything and drilling a couple of three mounting holes. Should be here tomorrow.

We pulled the deuce to start it this evening and I let it run to charge the batteries back up. I luv driving this thing!

Gonna see if I can get the air ride suspension bought tomorrow.

kurtkds

You may have to crack open the injector lines at the injector to bleed out the air from there, I seem to recall having to do that to mine after I changed the filters.

Harleighguy

I changed my Primary filter this afternoon due to a leaking canister and the drain would not "drain" due to sediment and I too found the "reusable" filter thing in there. Mine however had a large dent and a crack in the filter material so there was no using it again (can't figure out how this could be dented). I found fine sediment inside the filter as well as in the bottom of the canister which had NO rust or water in it. I permanently "disassembled" and used the top plate from the old filter and a NAPA 3113 filter. I removed the top cork gasket off the 3113 and used a fuel safe "O" ring to seal in it's place to seal the two pieces together and it allows the whole thing to self center up into the housing. I used a slightly larger in diameter metal washer on the bottom above the spring to seal against the bottom of the 3113 filter lower cork seal and the metal lip that holds the cork seal in place. Seems to work just fine and NO leaks at the canister which was the reason to pull it apart in the first place. Greased all the suspension points that I could find while I was down under too~ My canister had a date of last service painted on it of "09/07" so figured it has been in there since 2007. Will most likely switch ALL the filters to Spin-on soon though for ease of maintenance and availability.

PsycoBob

I replaced primary with the wix 24770 1-14 filter head & a 3micron water-seperator/filter (33005). A piece of angle-iron got drilled to roughly match the original filter's bracket & the wix filter head. I recall that one of the connectors to the copper line was weird on mine- snipped it & replaced with modern part.

I replaced both engine mounted filters at the same time. Hopefully I'll only be replacing the 3micron filter from now on. Took less than a minute the last time I did it.

Cheap oil filter wrench added to travel kit, along with several spare filters.

Edited to correct micron from 2-3, added part numbers.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks