• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Primary fuel filter ?'s

jwaller

when I open the valve to drain the water/junk from my primary with the master switch on and the intank pump running what kinda stream/flow of fuel am I looking for? fire hose, garden hose, washer hose?

I just replaced my primary with a new napa 3511 and my others with 3512's and correct gaskets. all of the had cork instead of the rubber seals that the old ones had on the filters themselves is that ok?

devilman96

In terms of hose I think "gurgling" would be about it... The tank pump is just a transfer pump, all it needs to do it get fuel up to the IP. Once there the pump can cease to function and the truck will still run untill it looses prime.

3511 yes.... 3512 I say no... Get OEM filters Or...Get the following.

Two NAPA PN 4309, filter base
Two NAPA PN 3418, spin on filters

Or buy three of each and change all of them to spin on's... It takes a few pipe fittings and odds and ends to get it all together but its easy and makes total sense when you see the parts in your hand.

mangus580

Devilman, are you saying our fuel filters can be changed out with spin on type?

If so, any chance you could write up a tech article on this?

MATT

Devilman,

Napa 3512 spin on fuel filters work great, why do you think this filter is not correct. I have been using the 3512 for years with no problems.

I would like to see pics of all of the filters changed to spin on's. I only change the primary fuel filter to a spin on (Napa 3512).

devilman96

Quick tech write up... :)... just add the fittings you need to reduce the filter mount down from 1/2 to 3/8 pipe, grab a second 3/8 tee, thread sealer, redrill and ream the holes! Once the parts are in your hands its pretty crystal.

I was going to machine both fuel and oil adapter bases to convert over to spin on but the Napa bases are a easy enough fix for the fuel... I will start working on the plates for oil this weekend (hopefully)...

The first pic is a comparison...

The second pic showes 2 bases hanging on a MEP003 that I am working on which originally had the same canister set up as most MV's. For the Deuce you just need to stack the return tee on the end.

As for 3512... my humble opinion... Gasketing problems allowing unfiltered fuel to leak past the ID. Cork compresses well but does not seal cylindrically.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks