• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Priming the HEMTT fuel system

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys after reading everything I could find both here and the open net I have to say I was rather confused on how to proceed with getting this engine to fire after being run out of fuel. Well here is what I did. My truck is an 88 M977 with the 8V92 its been a great truck since the day I bought it! I went over to look closely at the fuel system and and what appeared to be the best way to prime it was to take the main fuel line from the fuel water separator and it goes directly to the pump, well its got a connector about halfway up to the pump alongside the block. I had a buddy with me and we disconnected the fuel line at that mid point connector raised the line and started pouring fuel into it so the fuel is going directly into the pump. It took a little while but we finally got it full and it wasnt going down anymore. Then I had my buddy go in and try starting the engine, well the engine started after a few seconds of cranking and I just kept dumping in fuel for about 15 seconds while the engine was running. Shut the engine off with the fuel cutoff. Them made sure both the primary and secondary's were full then took that main line into the pump and filled it completely full again then so to lose as little fuel from the line as possible quickly screwed the two lines back together. My buddy went back in the truck and it fired right up, maybe 4 seconds of a little faltering as it working the air out and that was it the fuel system was primed and engine running perfectly. Let it run for about 20 minutes at varying RPMs and everything came up to the green and all is good! What a relief is all I can say!
I know tis truck has a very bad reputation for being extremely difficult to get running after it runs out of fuel and everything I read seemed to confirm that, but in doing it the way I did it only took about 20 minutes and fired on the first attempt. I hope this helps any other HEMTT drivers out there, its really doesnt have to be that difficult!
Good luck guys!!!
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks