• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

problem with all lights

N1265

If equipped with blackout lights, the switch has an internal thermal circuit breaker. Something is causing it to trip and as posted above cleaning the grounds is a good place to start.

Also check to see if the factory wiring has been hacked into, sometimes the factory turn signal switch goes bad and people will start hacking into the wiring to get lights to the back of the truck.

This condition can be fixed, but depending on how bad the problem is it may cost some time and money.

gsxrinthe9s

yes it does have the black out switch. and theres been another devolpment it seems if i dont disconnect the battery when the truck isnt being used for say a week or two the battery goes bad and cannot be recharged

gsxrinthe9s

thanks for all the sugestions i will start on this the next semi warm day. but i have been thinking im not sure the circuit breaker being bad would make the battery discharge when not in use would it ? but what ever is overloading the circuit breaker could be whats causeing the battery issue. whats you guys thoughts

N1265

i have been thinking im not sure the circuit breaker being bad would make the battery discharge when not in use would it ? but what ever is overloading the circuit breaker could be whats causeing the battery issue. whats you guys thoughts
This is true, to a point. These issues may or may not be related. The circuit breaker may be being tripped simply because of its age. A "weak" circuit breaker by itself should not cause the battery to go dead, but it will cause all the lights to keep going off and on by itself like you described.

However, if there is a short somewhere inside the blackout switch itself, it could cause the battery to go dead.

Power comes from the bottom side of the fuse panel and goes to the main blackout light switch, then it is distributed from there. The power for EVERY light bulb on the truck and also the horn runs threw that switch FIRST. Also, there is no circuit protection between the fuse panel and the internal circuit breaker inside the blackout light switch . (This only applies if the truck is wired as it is suppose to be, many of times this wiring may have been altered and hacked into by a previous owner trying to get the lights to work )

Keep up posted and good luck .

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A M886 I had would drain the battery after a few days, never did figure that out.
(Although I never really tried) I just always disconnected the battery.

Need to check connections, power wire rubbing on metal with bad insulation is a possibility.
I have several of these trucks and found over 90% of electrical issues are ground related. I did have a 3 lever switch go bad on my plow truck.