• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Propane Kit for 1009

tklm539

Ok, I am really new to the CUCV world,so feel free to frag away. I just stumbled into Bully Dog Propane Injection Kits information. If the #'s are true, serious gain in Hp and at 3.69 per gallon, serious fuel savings.

Does anyone have any experience? Will it cook a 6.2 m1009. My initial reaction was the old light that burns twice as bright burns half as long addage

poppop

The 6.2 is a diesel, right. If so i have never heard of running one one propane. I have a Chevy s-10 I bought from GL with a propane kit. The engine was locked and had to be rebuilt. Some pieces were missing from the propane kit and I don't have it running yet. From what I have heard mileage and power suffer when running on propane, but I use lots of propane on the farm and have it locked in right now for $2.15. I need to get that truck running.

mangus580

Armada said:
So propane can be used on engines with glowplugs without causing an 'incident'?
Yes. I think the systems are set up so the propane injects at a certain throttle position. your glow plugs should never be on at that point...

tklm539

It sounds like the propane does not flow until the motor is up and running.

. I really would not want to burn up the motor. The kit is around 750.00, but the tank is another 700.00 lits of $$$$ to try it out.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So how much better milage does propane get? $1400 plus the cost of propane, I better get an additional 20 mpg to shell out that kind of cash.

5tonpuller

I have a propane set up on my 5 ton. There is a different way to add it as there are people that do. The truck is put away for the winter. Ill try and draw or get some pictures. I run it through a regulator. Between 1900 and 2200 It is a bear thats coming. After 2200 there is little difference in pull. With just a crack of the valve on the road at a cruse I do see the mpg change. I use it on diesel or bio fuel. I have taken JT for a ride with it. I think he was impressed.

jatonka

5 Ton Puller did the propane trick a long while ago on an M543A2 wrecker. Now, all us that own one know that they are way under powered for road driving and could use at least another gear in the main box, Puller's set up gives him the extra gear and then some. It's been a couple of years now and he's still got a motor in one piece. JT out