• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PT Pump Swap Question

ClintA

The PT pump in my M936 is leaking bad (like runs out on the oil filter canister) where the throttle shaft comes out, I did my research and seen that I have to sent it to Cummins to get rebuilt, but my Nephew (bless his heart) blew the engine in my M818, and it ran like a champ. Can I take the one off the M818 and put it on the M936? One thing I seen is that the throttle shaft is pointing down on the 818 and is pointing up on the 936. What are my other options? Thanks in advance

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have a fuel pump for sale out of a 818 with low miles on it in the classified section. i think it would fit in the 12.95 shipping box. im located in la if you need one

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The throttle shaft comes straight out of the pump. the throttle lever can be moved to whatever position is required on the shaft. Just remove the nut and bolt, use a flat blade screwdriver to move the lever positoition you need

ClintA

i have a fuel pump for sale out of a 818 with low miles on it in the classified section. i think it would fit in the 12.95 shipping box. im located in la if you need one
Thanks just the same, the pump out of my M818 is good,the engine is toast, I am just seeing if it will go on my Wrecker

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it will work(run) but you wont have the auxiliary governor anymore.

elkhtr

I have one that came off a good running engine that I swapped into my 923a1.
It came out of a wrecker, and has the aux govenor.
Cant tell you any more about it other than the engine had an 04 overhaul tag and it runs sweet even with my old pt pump.

wcuhillbilly

i would like a definative answer on this too. I have a NTC 350 with jakes and turbo Im trying to rebuild, but my NHC 250 in my 816 is gonna have to cough up alot of parts to make this NTC complete....

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i would like a definative answer on this too. I have a NTC 350 with jakes and turbo Im trying to rebuild, but my NHC 250 in my 816 is gonna have to cough up alot of parts to make this NTC complete....
Like what parts?

wcuhillbilly

NTC 350 Rt side.jpg
Like what parts?
For starters, the NTC 350 is a stripped engine. thus the bell housing adapter, oil filter housing and plumbing, injection pump (350 kinda locked up) compressor likely isnt any good. the 250 will have to give up its crank shaft to the 350 as the story on the 350 is that it tossed a rod.(I cant find any evidence on the block or pan... but cant turn it over either).... the only reason I want the 350 block is the oil coolers..

ClintA

Does anyone know how to rebuild a PT pump, in my case, I bet it is just a O ring that has went bad. I don't know there for I ask, has anyone tore one apart off a M936 and had luck getting it to work? Thanks

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
it is not that hard to take one apart, the big thing is NO crap gets in to while it is open, the ip is soft metal, so watch for NOT gouging, scratches.. I took mine apart on the work bench, started out resealing the input, ended up doing the button, springs, ect ,. YOU CAN do it you self, just take your time.

wcuhillbilly

Is the 350 a small cam or BC1?
Cummins says its a small cam..... 1977 vintage... Eng # 10616869 CPL: 0160

NTC 350 plate.jpg

Most Big Cams Ive been around had "Big Cam" cast into the block on the crank skirts. I find no markings to denote a BC.
Aftercooler, turbo manifolds and core VT50 (locked up bad) and the 25A jake was well worth the $200 I paid for the engine even if I have to scrap the rest.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

The PT pump in my M936 is leaking bad (like runs out on the oil filter canister) where the throttle shaft comes out, I did my research and seen that I have to sent it to Cummins to get rebuilt, but my Nephew (bless his heart) blew the engine in my M818, and it ran like a champ. Can I take the one off the M818 and put it on the M936? One thing I seen is that the throttle shaft is pointing down on the 818 and is pointing up on the 936. What are my other options? Thanks in advance
Yes you can swap pumps between the 250s but you will need to swap the governor assembly over to the new pump. Also I have noticed that the 816 governor assembly and the 936 governor are not the same.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks