• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO GENERATOR for any use

Bill W

The TM says 27 HP for high. seems like low range on the PTO would work fine for a generator, just step the RPMS up a little bit and you'd be fine
As I understand it a common PTO driven generator is setup to run ( at rated power ) off a pto thats turning at 540rpm, the deuce pto even in low gear turns at 650rpm @1000rpm to which I wonder out loud, won't you over speed the generator??

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run my crane at 1000 RPM for most crane activities. I also run lots of used motor oil. It idles pretty clean but when I take it for a spin to clear it out, you can sure see where I've been!

Heath_h49008

Great thread! Is it possible to run a generator on one PTO and a hydraulic pump on the other? I'm thinking about running standard Ag fittings to the front and rear to power woodsplitters, winches and the like, but being able to use the generator to power the house/air compressor or welder. I'm familiar with PTOs on tractors, but not trucks.

abh3

A Multifuel is a lot of engine to run for such a small generator. A small genset makes more sense to me. I've got a 3-53 pulling a 40kw head to run everything (several buildings, HVACs, well, etc) when needed if there is a crowd here and am about install an 016b for light duty if we don't need much running but a few lights, fridge, tv, etc...

Someone mentioned a small Honda genset, nice and quiet, reliable; that's the way to go if you don't already deal with big tanks of offroad diesel for farm use!

Heath_h49008

I have a tiny gasoline generator that runs a sump pump, furnace, etc for power outages... one at a time... but not the freezers and not a chance of running the 110/20amp for my little wire welder or air compressor. I was thinking about mobile use as well as being able to run the freezers, well pump and refrigerators for a few hours a day. Out at the "end of the line" we get 2-5 3 day outages from weather every year. (Ice storms and thunderstorms for the most part) ... gotta love Michigan.

Just thinking it could be easy to rig a 100a panel on the truck somewhere... Hmm... so many ideas...

Keith_J

The LD/LDT/LDS engines are all in the 0.45-0.55 pounds of fuel per horsepower-hour range. It takes 1 Hp to generate 746 Watts if everything is perfectly efficient. With mechanical governors (all diesels are governed), typical engines have two horsepower for every kW of generator capacity...the old 5 kW MEP-017A used the 42 cubic inch AO-42 military standard 2-cylinder 10 Hp engine (42 cubic inch, 3600 RPM).

So while the stock governor should hold the RPM close enough for 60 Hz regulation with a PTO, it will only have the 27 Hp output at 1600 RPM . So at best, you could get 13 kW. Drop the RPM and you will have proportionally less power. So at 800 RPM, that would be 13 Hp or less and 6 kW generator output.

At 13 Hp, you are looking at 6 pounds per hour of fuel which is about a gallon. A MEP-002A diesel is rated at 5 kW but will do 7.5 easily and consume about 3/4 gallon per hour at that output.

The specific fuel consumption of a diesel is highly dependent on engine speed, load and temperature. It can be well over 1 pound per Hp-hour at lower RPM. Typically, it is least (most efficient, specific means specific to power output) at the engine's torque peak.

Hightechken

I agree that the stand alone genset is a much better idea. The PTO generator on my M1031 works great for very temporary use, Producing it's power at 3 PHASE to run the welder and air compressor, And also provide some single phase 120 volt power for lights and hand tools. The motor is governed at around 2K RPM to produce the 60 cycle power.
This set up would be a very poor choice to run a household.....
For around 1K you can buy a nice 5KW single phase diesel genset that produces plenty of power to run a 240 volt well pump and other household stuff.

DuroStar 6000 Watt Portable Diesel Generator - DS7200Q | eBay

If you live out in the country and have your own water well, Any genset you get should be able to run your well pump.......... Which is usually 240 volt around 20 amp.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks