• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pump shut down after battery short

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hi all,

I was driving on the highway and the truck stalled. I coasted to a stop and checked under the hood. It seems I did not tighten down the battery while working on it recently and the 24V battery post touched the frame. Tightened that back up but the truck would not start. (Turns over fine) Fuel is coming into the IP from the fuel pump but nothing comes out at cracked injectors (no matter how many times I crank it). Maybe something with a relay to the IP? The pump makes a click when it gets power but I haven't tested any voltages. Most likely I can read voltages at various points and determine what is going on-- anyone familiar with where that electrical diagnosis procedure can be found?

best wishes,
Ned
OH, My my.
CUCV are so much fun

nedbread

I fished the half a bolt out from the compartment that houses the IP drive gear with a wire loop. The alignment dowel is still in there somewhere.

At this point I have mounted the new IP. I want to test it out. I read at some point you can run the engine without the air intake manifold is that right?

When I turn the key I get a brief rotation of the engine and then rapid fire clicks. What is that? That happens without any wires connected to the pump.

Thanks,
Ned

EDIT: Battery dead?

Last edited:

nedbread

I got the batteries both charged at Autozone.

Just wondering about those three bolts... where can I get a replacement? (The bolts to sync the IP with the engine via the drive gear)

nedbread

I found them today.

Not currently in a hurry. There are two pieces of metal that fell into this compartment. One was a half a bolt that I fished out. The other is the dowel pin to time the IP to the engine. That is probably down lower and I can't feel. So I guess I have to open this compartment hence I wont be running the truck for a while until I can get that compartment open and take the pin out.

cucvrus

Read your last post that you didn't need the bolts anymore. Fair enough. You may end up taking the oil pan off to find that dowel pin. But it needs to be found. I don't think the gears or chains will do well with that piece floating around in there. Seems strange that it ran this long. Good Luck.

nedbread

Read your last post that you didn't need the bolts anymore. Fair enough. You may end up taking the oil pan off to find that dowel pin. But it needs to be found. I don't think the gears or chains will do well with that piece floating around in there. Seems strange that it ran this long. Good Luck.
Thanks. It quit on the highway when a battery shorted.

nedbread

Thanks. It quit on the highway when a battery shorted. For some reason the pump seems to have forced its drive gear to stop. I guess, and the engine movement tore the bolt right off before the pump broke internally to allow the drive gear to rotate. Hence the metal bits that came off and fell down.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Rick. I will also suggest that you do not try to crank the engine again until you 1)- remove the fan, pulleys, water pump & water pump plate, and oil pan to find the broken dowel pin or any other metal fragments, and 2)- determine the reason the pump separated from the drive gear. Remember the broken dowel pin could be more than one piece. You must find and remove this broken material or risk catastrophic engine failure. Just my 2 cents.

nedbread

I did remove the water pump. This does show the gears but the pin is most likely at the bottom of this front cover. Seems I would have to remove the torsional damper and the whole font cover to see all the way to the bottom of this area (just below timing chain and sprockets).

Has anyone actually had a problem with this before or is there just a lot of worry about loose parts in engine? Does the front cover communicate with the oil pan and could this piece of debris come out in an oil change or sit in the pan?

cucvrus

You need to find it. You are asking about a part that is steel floating inside of an engine with gears and chains. I think something happened here before like the bolts on the injection pump gear were loose. I had batteries drop right out on the road when the right inner fender gave way and it never effected the engine timing. That lost dowel pin is a ticking time bomb. What if it is between the timing chains and comes loose at 55 mph. If it lodges in the gears it will get compressed and everything else will bend and break. Really. Fact is it needs to be located. Good Luck.

nedbread

You need to find it. You are asking about a part that is steel floating inside of an engine with gears and chains. I think something happened here before like the bolts on the injection pump gear were loose. I had batteries drop right out on the road when the right inner fender gave way and it never effected the engine timing. That lost dowel pin is a ticking time bomb. What if it is between the timing chains and comes loose at 55 mph. If it lodges in the gears it will get compressed and everything else will bend and break. Really. Fact is it needs to be located. Good Luck.
Yep I guess the most likely thing is that it is in the pan. Might try draining oil then removing the pan then the front cover last if necessary.

Thanks!

Ned

nedbread

The oil pan is down. It was clean etc... looks to me like a lot of my seals are gone. Looking around the engine from below I can see moisture on seemingly every reservoir. The mileage is at 34,000 but i suppose those things can go over time.

The dowel pin was not in the oil pan. And it is clear that anything loose in the front cover would drop directly into the pan. So it is either stuck up in the front cover somewhere or.... ?

cucvrus

At this point I think it needs to be located. Also moisture could be cracked heads or bad head gaskets. Impossible to know. But wise money would find that pin and remove the heads. There is a chain that could conceal the pin and I would not be comfortable knowing it is in that engine somewhere. It did not disappear. Good Luck. I hope it gets easier. Still wondering what stopped the engine dead enough to snap the timing gear from the injection pump. Something is wrong there.

nedbread

Against all available advice (my dad has agreed with the forum on locating the pin) I drove it out of the spot it was... fairly exposed parked on my busy street. 100 miles no issues. Will update if anything new happens.

To be clear when I mentioned moisture that comment was unrelated to this thread... I meant the power steering pump, transmission pan, etc. all had moisture. The underside of the engine was fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks