• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchasing a CCKW .........Maybe ??????????????

ZIL157

Z, the allison is a dream,smooth and good on the running gear. Both the Detroit and Auto box went into the original mountings. Best thing is the air booster on the hand brake. Also thanks for the compliment.
Phill.
I've been reading up about this left / right hand drive business in Australia and it seems to say that the conversion to right hand drive is only neccessary if the vehicle is to be used commercially. There appears to be exemptions for historic collectible vehicles over a certain age providing they are classed as 'original'.
Where does your diesel conversion fit into this, are they cool about such things ?

These conversions, when done tastefully as on your truck, enhance the driving experience I reckon. Economy, durability, reliability are all improved. It's important to me that the aesthetics of the truck are retained tho', after all the CCKW has beautiful lines.
'Course, any modifications annoy the 'purists' who would rather own a truck with a stock 270 GMC that was only expected to achieve about 10000 combat miles and which in any case at 8 mpg is too expensive to run. Your truck is an excellent example of the compromise between owning a preserved, historic vehicle and the practicalities of running one. Cheers, Paul

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks