• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

putting 1600's on a M936 wrecker

Vintage iron

I know it has probable been posted before but I can't seem to find anything here on SS or the Web.I can't even find pictures. I know that 1600's on 5 ton combat rims will fit. I have had a set on two of my other trucks. I always use 1 1/2 spacers on the front so the tires don't rub the pitman arm. It is the rear that I am worried about. I know that 1600s on a cargo bed will rub the bottom of the bed at full tilt. I know the wrecker walking beam suspension doesn't move as much as regular 5 ton rear suspension, but I am worried about the rear most tires hitting the small tool box right by the rear stabilizer legs. I am also worried about the truck being top heavy too. The 1600 Michelin XZLs have a heavy 14000 lbs load rating, so that will help. Not that I will be doing any extreme off-roading but I like to do my homework before I do a project. I would like to get input from guys who have experience with 1600s on a Wrecker if I can. I am not worried about power either. A Cummins 290 will be going in, but that is a whole another story.

goldneagle

I would not recommend 16.00-20 on the M936. The truck is heavy as it is and the engine has enough trouble moving it as it is. The larger tires will make it even more difficult to clime hills. Even the 14.00-20 tires on my truck make it harder to clime up the hills. timntrucks had some 16.00-20 on his M816 wrecker and he downgraded them to 14.00-20 so the truck would have more power to move.

Csm Davis

I would not recommend 16.00-20 on the M936. The truck is heavy as it is and the engine has enough trouble moving it as it is. The larger tires will make it even more difficult to clime hills. Even the 14.00-20 tires on my truck make it harder to clime up the hills. timntrucks had some 16.00-20 on his M816 wrecker and he downgraded them to 14.00-20 so the truck would have more power to move.
Hey Zev he said he was upgrading the motor.

Vintage iron

I wonder if raising the bed will help with the tire hitting problem? The power of the wrecker is terrible with the stock 1100's. The cummins 290 will get it moving.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Unless it is a tricked up 290, a 290 will be some help on the 39.000 lb 936 but not enough pulling hills with 1600s, every little speed bump will slow it down.

Vintage iron

I will start out with the 290 and bump it up as it requires. I am picking up an inter cooler for the truck next week. The cooler intake charge should bring it up to what a Cummins 300 is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks