• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting super singles on a m814.

5 Ton John

Hello, I'm considering putting super singles on my m814 and have a few questions. 1, if putting 16.00r20 tires do you have to put hemtt wheels all around the truck, or can you just use them up front and put 5ton combats on the rears? I know they are needed up front to clear when turning. Also, I heard that 16.00s can hit the bed if suspension cycles too much. How frequent is this? Does it happen on a lot of obstacles or is it just the most extreme cases? I have duals on it now so I'm looking for some opinions on which to go with between 16.00s or 395s. If you have some pictures of either/ both ways on your trucks please post some along with which ones you prefer to run. I use the truck in offroad hauling situations mostly in muddy swampy areas. So with that in mind which tire choice seems more practical. Or should I leave it with the duals? Goal is best off road performance with truck loaded with several tons. Thanks to all for replies.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hello, I'm considering putting super singles on my m814 and have a few questions. 1, if putting 16.00r20 tires do you have to put hemtt wheels all around the truck, or can you just use them up front and put 5ton combats on the rears? I know they are needed up front to clear when turning. Also, I heard that 16.00s can hit the bed if suspension cycles too much. How frequent is this? Does it happen on a lot of obstacles or is it just the most extreme cases? I have duals on it now so I'm looking for some opinions on which to go with between 16.00s or 395s. If you have some pictures of either/ both ways on your trucks please post some along with which ones you prefer to run. I use the truck in offroad hauling situations mostly in muddy swampy areas. So with that in mind which tire choice seems more practical. Or should I leave it with the duals? Goal is best off road performance with truck loaded with several tons. Thanks to all for replies.
You can just use them on the front and be fine. They articulate out and hit the bed even on severe bumps on the road. Using a 4x4 between the bed frame and the truck frame is an easy swap in to fix the problem.

I don't have any HEMTT wheels but I do have a good many 5 ton combat wheels in Memphis if needed.

In an 809 truck 1600s fair well on the truck due to the 5 speed . I think the trucks all look goofy with 395s on em

Superthermal

20230226_131137.jpg
I am running all HEMTT wheels. This sets the front wider and the rear narrower. The front tracks about 2 1/2 to 3 inches wider than the rear. If I was running HEMTT in the front only and combat wheels on the rear, like Simp is suggesting, the rear tires would track much closer to the width of the front. This option would be best if track width is king in your book.
Since I already have 6 HEMTT wheels, I have been looking at finding two additional HEMTT wheels for my two spare tires that have yet to be mounted so that all my tires are interchangeable.
On the rubbing. Yes they will rub. As I have been looking into this issue I would rather lower my bump stops than raise the bed significantly off the frame with a slab of 4x4. Just my preference.
I have wheeled my rig with no damage to the tires or bed as it is so far but that could change with 8k loaded in the bed. The below pics are my rig when I first bought it a year ago with the old 16.00 Goodyears. Above is with the 16.00 Michelin XZLs.
20220420_173356.jpg20220420_173401.jpg

Last edited:

5 Ton John

@Superthermal Good Lawd, them's some big meats.
I can barely get my M813 in and out of my driveway. I hope the OP lives on a farm or ranch.
Ha yeah. I do live on a ranch. I use the truck for hauling hay, feed, lumber, you name it if it's on a ranch or farm this truck will move it. Also use it to access swampy areas around the ranch. It floods in places at times. This is why I want to super single it, to access the wetter areas with a load on it without rutting it up as bad. And honestly it's a blast to play in the mud with occasionally 🤫 just don't get it stuck or the dozer has to come out of the barn. I don't have a winch on it. YET.

5 Ton John

Ha yeah. I do live on a ranch. I use the truck for hauling hay, feed, lumber, you name it if it's on a ranch or farm this truck will move it. Also use it to access swampy areas around the ranch. It floods in places at times. This is why I want to super single it, to access the wetter areas with a load on it without rutting it up as bad. And honestly it's a blast to play in the mud with occasionally 🤫 just don't get it stuck or the dozer has to come out of the barn. I don't have a winch on it. YET.
I'm also in the market for a front winch to go on a 800 series if I can find one semi locally to me that is affordable. I have a few other things to do to it first on my list, but if someone has one for sale around mississippi or fairly close by please let me know. I don't have to have the pto or in cab controls. Just everything else. I know they are very handy in a lot of situations and have this on my list of get to it sometime. 😄 Thanks to anyone who may reply with one for sale.

hethead

Real happy with the 395's for road use. 65 mph speed rating and ride pretty good. Kinda "springy". Off road, they're ok but I'd compare them more to a BF Goodrich All Terrain, instead of an M/T. Sounds like you have more use for M/T's....

Attachments

5 Ton John

Real happy with the 395's for road use. 65 mph speed rating and ride pretty good. Kinda "springy". Off road, they're ok but I'd compare them more to a BF Goodrich All Terrain, instead of an M/T. Sounds like you have more use for M/T's....
Thanks for your review. I appreciate the opinions of someone who has experience with the tires. I don't want to have to buy a set and then not like them and get another set. This is the info I'm looking for.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm also in the market for a front winch to go on a 800 series if I can find one semi locally to me that is affordable. I have a few other things to do to it first on my list, but if someone has one for sale around mississippi or fairly close by please let me know. I don't have to have the pto or in cab controls. Just everything else. I know they are very handy in a lot of situations and have this on my list of get to it sometime. 😄 Thanks to anyone who may reply with one for sale.
CUCVFAN on this list as the winch. I believe he has everything except the controls in the cab, but check with him.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks