• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quad Field winding, purpose or how used MEP-802/3 series

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
For some time I have skirted this and sorta faked myself into understanding what or how this QUAD FIELD WINDING is supposed to work as well the intent of it. I'm most used to just a plain old brushless era Field winding of some impedance with a + and - F1 and F2 designation . I welcome any insight any of you can offer pleased.
Best and thanx in advance: mac/mc

Ray70

I know there are a lot of electrical / electronics experts that will soon chime in with a detailed explanation, but for starters are you familiar with the rotor design on these generators? I think seeing what the actual rotor and stator looks like will go a long way toward understanding how the whole "Brushless" design works in this case, which is somewhat different than your typical box store consumer Brushless generator which typically use an AVR and up to 4 capacitors to generate their field.
If you haven't already done so, I'd take a look towards the back of the TM at the exploded schematic, that way you will understand what everyone is talking about.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Quad Winding in the 802/803 simply generates the AC power that the Voltage Regulator requires to operate. The VR rectifies the Quad Winding power to DC. The VR in turn supplies and regulates the voltage supplied to the Field Windings to maintain the correct AC voltage. There are two feedbacks to the regulating circuits. The first is the Quad Winding voltage into the VR and the second is the 120 VAC sensed basically at the convenience outlet circuit.

Scoobyshep

The basic physics is a spinning magnet in a coil generates electricity. using a fixed magnet creates a fixed voltage. so the new thing was using an electromagnet. the first use required brushes to get the dc power to the rotor to create the magnetic field. these are brushless, so the quad windings create a magnetic field that part of the rotor picks up as ac (just due to the physical rotation of the coils). At that point the voltage in the rotor is run through a bank of diodes making the AC DC. that DC current turns the larger winding in the rotor into an electromagnet, which induces a current in the main windings where the gen set routes that current out as power.

Clear as mud?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks