• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about Converting Garwood to rear facing

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gentlemen,

I am exploring a project and require experience outside my own. Also I do not currently have a deuce with winch in front of me to observe the design, so please bear with me! I searched the archives on this idea but was unable to create an effective search.

Is the design of the Garwood 10k winch sufficiently universal enough to allow for reconfiguration and mounting on the chassis facing rearward, while maintaining the winding of the cable onto the top of the drum?

A rear facing PTO will provide reverse direction of rotation. However, I believe that if the winch input pinion is also reversed in the housing, the drum will continue to to spool the same direction, leading to the cable winding from the bottom. Is my thinking cap on straight on this concept?

Does anyone have experience with this? What else do I need to know? If it does work to wind from the bottom, I would need to modify the PTO with a rear facing PTO adapter, plus a PTO flange and a drive shaft assembly to connect the added winch.

I look forward to your remarks!

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited:

whyme

my thoughts as ive considered doing the same

1. once turned around the input shaft would be on the right side and this opposite the transmission pto (left side). (dont know much about the transfer case pto)

2. mounting the winch upside down looks to be a bad idea from the perspective of the lubrication design

3. two options for getting a rear output of the stock tranny pto are the dual output adapter or swapping some part off the 5 ton pto to allow you to reverse it. (search it i have read it here)

4. the physical mounting isnt much a problem but would require a bit of creativity to fab some new mounting plates. but then the problem is that if you mount it below the bed how do you get access to the dog clutch and drum lock? and if its on a sort of frame extension off the back then its in the way.

my thoughts have brought me to the conclusion that the 20k garwood off the 5ton is a better choice as weight isnt a problem out back and the pto input shaft is opposite that of the 10k so thats not a problem. your still faced with the issue of access to the lock and clutch but thats solvable.

personally in this case you get higher capacity and id leave the front too.

as to the question of wind, the cable can be removed and re spooled opposite if desired and its simple to do as well. sill the other problems are prohibitive

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
a rear facing pto only runs in one direction, for a rear facing winch, i would use a x/case pto

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. once turned around the input shaft would be on the right side and this opposite the transmission pto (left side). (dont know much about the transfer case pto)
Understood. One of the things I am asking this group is if the Garwood can be reassembled in order to have the input pinion reversed. Then it would be possible to mount it in a rear position. Again, I do not have a winch in front of me to reference, so I may be talking about something that cannot be done.

2. mounting the winch upside down looks to be a bad idea from the perspective of the lubrication design
Agreed. I was not considering the notion.

3. two options for getting a rear output of the stock tranny pto are the dual output adapter or swapping some part off the 5 ton pto to allow you to reverse it. (search it i have read it here)
Yes. Part of what got me started on this concept was learning that there are pieces available to turn the standard deuce PTO into a front and rear unit. I believe either option (modify or replace with the 5 ton unit) will be about the same cost.

4. the physical mounting isnt much a problem but would require a bit of creativity to fab some new mounting plates. but then the problem is that if you mount it below the bed how do you get access to the dog clutch and drum lock? and if its on a sort of frame extension off the back then its in the way.
I am not currently restricted to mounting the winch under the bed, as the target vehicle has none. I can therefore consider what is the best possible location and build the bed around the winch and its controls.

my thoughts have brought me to the conclusion that the 20k garwood off the 5ton is a better choice as weight isnt a problem out back and the pto input shaft is opposite that of the 10k so thats not a problem. your still faced with the issue of access to the lock and clutch but thats solvable.
Oh really? The 20k Garwood is a solution??? I obviously spend too much time lurking in the Deuce forum. Excuse me while I go have a peak in the 5 ton forum. Maybe the search tool will work better over there.

Thanks whyme!

Rick

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
a rear facing pto only runs in one direction, for a rear facing winch, i would use a x/case pto
73m819, I have very little experience in PTO applications. The deuce winch PTO has two forward speeds and reverse. If I install the kit that makes the standard deuce front PTO into a front/rear unit, would I still have the same gears available or does the added rear output affect the gears available?

Adding a second PTO off the transfer case is another idea. The only objection I have to the idea is that it would require linkages and levers, thus loosing the elegant simplicity of a front/rear trans unit.

Thank you!

Rick

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rear output is only single speed in one direction. You will not have the same speeds as the front output.

As has already been said, go with a t-case PTO. That gives you 5-foward speeds and one reverse.

All that being said and having torn a few winches apart, I think you can swap the winch input to the other end and make the winch turn the other direction.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks