• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about Diagnostic screen (TIM)

Camoguy

Truck just got delivered and I wanted to just run through all the diagnostic tests. Does anyone know if there is a fuse that feeds the (TIM)diagnostic box? It does not illuminate when I plug it up.

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
It is officially called the TIM, IIRC.

Check your breakers (resettable fuses) and any that fail to reset replace with a standard fuse and report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camoguy

Check your breakers (resettable fuses) and any that fail to reset replace with a standard fuse and report back

I did plug it up. I have another truck and it works fine. Fuses appear to be fine. If I knew which one it was I could just swap it and see... Thanks for the terminology lesson. Ill keep that in mind. I was a little gun-shy trying to explain it. Ill check it again in some daylight.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Wow! I’m jealous, 2 trucks sounds like double the fun.

I’m knocking morning cloudiness out of my brain, Hop under the hood and check the little black box mounted high, about mid way on the firewall. It should be plugged up. As of right now, if that box is bad, I don’t have a repair solution other than verify power into it by comparing to your other truck, and maybe disassemble it and check to see if it has corrosion from water intrusion etc it may have calcium tracking that could be removed

Camoguy

I’m knocking morning cloudiness out of my brain, Hop under the hood and check the little black box mounted high, about mid way on the firewall. It should be plugged up. As of right now, if that box is bad, I don’t have a repair solution other than verify power into it by comparing to your other truck, and maybe disassemble it and check to see if it has corrosion from water intrusion etc it may have calcium tracking that could be removed

Is that box the actual TIM?? Do you think I could just swap this one with the other one off the other truck? do you think it will cause problems?

I took the screen out of the dash I’m plugged it in the other truck and the message says working as it should see picture

Attachments

Camoguy

Is that box the actual TIM?? Do you think I could just swap this one with the other one off the other truck? do you think it will cause problems?

I took the screen out of the dash I’m plugged it in the other truck and the message says working as it should see picture

The other was supposed to be a parts truck. I’ve had this one for a couple hours now and thinking the parts truck is way nicer... Just don’t have the dump bed on it.

Camoguy

You the man! The plug is Definitely corroded. And the circuitboard is toast

Attachments

Camoguy

BIG THANKS TO Elijah95. I got it working. I am running test now. So glad I found this site. You guys feel free to correct me if my terminology and such is wrong. Just a part of learning😁 Anything I fix I’ll be posting it. It might help someone else. I know a lot of what I’ve read on here is help me.

Camoguy

Hey, just curious. Where you a mechanic in the service? Do you work on these regularly. If not, I

Is there anyone that could look at this video give me their opinion on what it means? Could not figure out how to load a video so I just screen shot the results. There is a slight bit of black smoke that comes out the stack. Kinda of hard to see. At dusky night time it was more visible.

Attachments

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Wow that’s crazy! Glad you made progress, and no I’m not a Motor T guy, I’ve just got a little mechanical experience and some experience on my MTVR to help.

I don’t know the compression test works on the TIM; but there are several tests that can be performed with Caterpillar ET software on a laptop, and something like a NexIQ truck adapter. If you’re planning on keeping an MTVR long term Cat ET, Allison, and Dana software are all must-haves to assist in diagnostics on these trucks. It can potentially save you 1000’s

Camoguy

Wow that’s crazy! Glad you made progress, and no I’m not a Motor T guy, I’ve just got a little mechanical experience and some experience on my MTVR to help.

I don’t know the compression test works on the TIM; but there are several tests that can be performed with Caterpillar ET software on a laptop, and something like a NexIQ truck adapter. If you’re planning on keeping an MTVR long term Cat ET, Allison, and Dana software are all must-haves to assist in diagnostics on these trucks. It can potentially save you 1000’s

So You don’t need a license to buy those programs?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks