• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on trailer parts. Maybe M1061?

MonsterTruck

Hello,

I am going to buy a trailer that looks like what I’ve seen described as a mobile tower trailer in some pictures online. I can’t find an official designation but it looks like a M1061 except the deck is 19’ instead of 14’ and it’s all aluminum.

I will be using it to pull a couple utvs on rough roads but overall a light job for it. I also need to be able to do freeway speeds for many miles. I’ll be pulling with a Ram 5500. I’ll be careful with making sure I have plenty of weight forward given axle placement on these.

I will either do an electric over hydraulic conversation and keep the current axles or, more likely swap them for some standard Dexter 7k axles.

My thought is the 7k swap will make parts, wheels and tires much more available. Is this true or are the standard 6 lug and bearings etc easy to find?

Also, any experience with the trunnion on these? Are they prone to fail? Anyone know a part number or source?

Thanks.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see the trailer has a data plate on the side of the frame. What is the weight of the trailer? If the construction is aluminum, that will help. I would leave the trailer as is with the axles and tires. If you ever decide to sell the trailer it will be worth a lot more if it is unmodified. You will never wear out those tires on a trailer and the trailer itself is very tough. I have an XM1061E1 trailer, which is steel and quite heavy. With a light load or empty I can pull it with my M35A3 without the brakes hooked up. With a heavy load I always hook up the brakes. My 1061 trailer is very useful and almost indestructible.

MonsterTruck

I see the trailer has a data plate on the side of the frame. What is the weight of the trailer? If the construction is aluminum, that will help. I would leave the trailer as is with the axles and tires. If you ever decide to sell the trailer it will be worth a lot more if it is unmodified. You will never wear out those tires on a trailer and the trailer itself is very tough. I have an XM1061E1 trailer, which is steel and quite heavy. With a light load or empty I can pull it with my M35A3 without the brakes hooked up. With a heavy load I always hook up the brakes. My 1061 trailer is very useful and almost indestructible.
Appreciate the advice. Here’s the data plate. Obviously the weight there is either with the tower or its gvw. I don’t know an empty weight. I saw somewhere on the web, around 4k which might be close.

Have you sourced spare bearings, trunnion bearing etc?

The 5500 is a towing machine but will definitely do brakes as I’ll be on the freeway and over mountain passes. The price of an electric over hydraulic conversion is halfway to new axles with easier parts to source which would be my only reason. If I was staying local, I wouldn’t sweat it but don’t want to have something really odd in the middle of nowhere unless I bring a few things along. I’d prefer to do as you recommend though.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a special purpose built trailer in low numbers. Never seen that variant.
Not a m1061 or bigger brother xm1073. Looks like it shares the same running gear. Neither of those are aluminum nor wooden deck. Also they have stabilizer Jack's on each corner. M1061 have 16.5 tires, xm1073 have 17.5 tires.

Trunions do just fine. Air over hydraulic brakes so keep that in mind to keep you legal as most states require brakes after 3000lbs. Once you spend the $ to do the brake conversion and axles (not cheap).
Tires either 16.5 or 17.5 will be impossible to find on road. 17.5 are no longer made for my xm1073.
I think you would be better looking for a civy trailer.

Last edited:

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air over hydo to electric over hydro brakes is not very difficult to do and will run you less than $1000 for all the parts needed to make the swap. Definitely much cheaper than replacing axles/tires. Parts for that system are probably interchangeable with most large military trailers and should not be difficult to find if you need them. I agree with glcaines above that the more unmolested it is the better resale later.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More info and what the trailer looked like oe:

Wood deck might be add on when it was stripped and converted.

Last edited by a moderator:

MonsterTruck

Well, I am in possession of this unit. Super cool trailer. The 19’ deck and aluminum construction make it pretty functional.

The bearings don’t look like they’ve been greased this century.

I had to run to work so didn’t measure but looks like a 3” socket to pull the hubs!? Anyone done this and know part number for bearings by chance?

Thanks

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I am in possession of this unit. Super cool trailer. The 19’ deck and aluminum construction make it pretty functional.

The bearings don’t look like they’ve been greased this century.

I had to run to work so didn’t measure but looks like a 3” socket to pull the hubs!? Anyone done this and know part number for bearings by chance?

Thanks
Got a pic of the trailer so we can be sure of what we are telling you?

MonsterTruck

The only data plate is the one I showed. The other must have come off at some point. It is the AB1309 TRC mobile tower trailer. The guy I brought in f from put on the wood deck as originally there is no deck. Looks like the tower bolts into the frame.

It seems to be a pretty uncommon trailer. I would imagine the running gear is the same as the 1061 though.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only data plate is the one I showed. The other must have come off at some point. It is the AB1309 TRC mobile tower trailer. The guy I brought in f from put on the wood deck as originally there is no deck. Looks like the tower bolts into the frame.

It seems to be a pretty uncommon trailer. I would imagine the running gear is the same as the 1061 though.

It definitely isn't an M1061A1. Here's mine (before modification) for comparison.

20220813_124223.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks