• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about Title Transfer

littlewilly

My name is William. I have purchased a 1970 M813A1. This truck has a horseless carriage license plate from 2015. I live in Washington state. To transfer Title, I must have an appraisal on a company letter head or with a company business card. Including the Vin #. I must prove this truck was designed to travel on a public road or highway. Also that this truck met the safety standards at the time it was built. Please, is there anyone who could help me accomplish the three requirements.

Thank You
William

williamh

That’s a totally non looked up question. There’s a bunch of how to do or who can help answers here. Do you have a title or bill of sale ?? Not trying to be the @$$hole here but …… use the search , there are company’s out there like your local tag shop or someone like dirt legal that can give you guidance , yes you’ll need to spend some cash but if you bought a old military vehicle , getting it registered is gonna be the cheapest thing you’ll spend money on.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can issue the appraisal, I'm a registered auto dealer in Texas and I do them often. The second part about "designed to travel on public road or highway" may be covered by text in a TM. It will at least state max travel speed for certain terrain including on highway use. The last requirement will be tricky to get in some form of writing. Can anyone else chime in?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a choice, try to stay with the 'historic vehicle' (or whatever they call it) type registration.

Much easier on the nerves & wallet.

IN AZ, that type of plate can completely eliminate the commercial requirements. Such as Weight: 00000, NO CDL, eTc.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What state was the truck originally registered & titled in? Is this an out-of-state purchase, if so, was it from a state that would register it but not issue a title due to its age? This latter sounds like why your DMV is making you jump through these hoops. The better & sooner you can answer them means the sooner & better we can help you.

Many here have successfully navigated these issues before & are happy to help but we need a few more specifics please.

162tcat

That’s not a Washington title if it says horseless carriage. What state is it from? And do you actually have a title? Start with that info and we’ll go from there. I have successfully registered dozens of deuces and 5 tons in Washington without issue. There are many different options depending on your use such as classic vehicle, farm exempt, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I must prove this truck was designed to travel on a public road or highway. Also that this truck met the safety standards at the time it was built.
Follow this Link that will eventually take you to the NHTSA site where they have published their interpretation that AM General has designed its vehicles for road use. Being a 1970 is your truck a Kaiser Jeep?

The second part is quite tricky because licensing agents think they need to see a picture of a vehicle tag that says the truck adheres to FMVSS at the time of manufacture. Military vehicles are exempt from this requirement but licensing folks won't entertain such logic. Most of your help on this particular part of your quandary will come from the 'Politics related to the MV hobby' sub-forum and also from the PNW Steel Soldiers group on Facebook.

littlewilly

That’s a totally non looked up question. There’s a bunch of how to do or who can help answers here. Do you have a title or bill of sale ?? Not trying to be the @$$hole here but …… use the search , there are company’s out there like your local tag shop or someone like dirt legal that can give you guidance , yes you’ll need to spend some cash but if you bought a old military vehicle , getting it registered is gonna be the cheapest thing you’ll spend money on.
Thank you very much. off I go. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post.

littlewilly

Follow this Link that will eventually take you to the NHTSA site where they have published their interpretation that AM General has designed its vehicles for road use. Being a 1970 is your truck a Kaiser Jeep?

The second part is quite tricky because licensing agents think they need to see a picture of a vehicle tag that says the truck adheres to FMVSS at the time of manufacture. Military vehicles are exempt from this requirement but licensing folks won't entertain such logic. Most of your help on this particular part of your quandary will come from the 'Politics related to the MV hobby' sub-forum and also from the PNW Steel Soldiers group on Facebook.
Thank you. I will begin the process. This is great information.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need to baffle the clerk with some 'facts', tell them this. "The Interstate highway system was proposed in the 1950's, and mostly built in the 1960's and 1970's. It was built for the militry to use in times of war! The federal government set the minimum speed of 45 mph on the highways BECAUSE the military vehicles that would use them in a war could go at least 49 miles an hour (or a little better), 4 mph faster than the minimum. And as originally designed the maximum speed of the Interstate highways was 60 mph." Then pull out the DOD paper that says they comply with the FMSV standards as equivalents to the civilian counterparts, which is why all military vehicles were refitted with seat belts when that standard became law. Even ones that had been made 10 or more years before that standard was adopted.

littlewilly

I have a 29 Model A that my dad had. Still has the Horseless Carriage tag on it. That tag was transferred to me here in North Carolina because I asked specifically for it - and believe it or not - they were willing.

It gets paid for once.
Thank You for your reply. My truck has a new horseless carriage plate. I hope to get another. With the help from an amazing person at American general I have solved two of the three requirements. Now to get the truck appraised including the VIN #. Thank You For Giving Me the inspiration I need to get back on the phone. P.S. I miss my mother and father every day.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank You for your reply. My truck has a new horseless carriage plate. I hope to get another. With the help from an amazing person at American general I have solved two of the three requirements. Now to get the truck appraised including the VIN #. Thank You For Giving Me the inspiration I need to get back on the phone. P.S. I miss my mother and father every day.
If you don't mind sharing, what did AM General provide? If it's a helpful document that could help others with the same problem, it would be worth uploading.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks