• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions on my new M221

reitenger

I am starting the basic parts gather after buying the M221. I know it's the same as an M135, but I wanted to see if anyone knew for sure that ALL drivetrain components were the same. I know it has a higher tow rating over the M135 so I was mainly concerned with the brakes being the same. I wanted to order all the components to do a brake rebuild to start after I give it a tune up. Here are the things I want to know for certain:

1. Are all of the brake components the dame as the M135?
2. Where is the best place i.e. cheapest place to buy the brake pieces and parts?
3. Are the wheels interchangeable with the M35 wheels?
4. Does anyone know where to get the TM? (TM 9-8020 I beklieve)

That is pretty much all I have at the moment. I found a discussion on the brake parts before I actually bought the thing, but I can't find it now.

hippiedude

I think the brakes are the same....as for parts you have to hunt....there out there thuogh ...I get alot of stuuff from E-Bay...hit the serch for m135 or m211 stuff pops there.... ther is a place in canada that offers NOS wheel cylinders in MVM....Best thing to do is try to get a parts truck if momma lets you :lol: ......TM 9-8024 is in the resources I
think TM9-1819AC is too......I found in my stuff a NOS water pump if you need it let me know...... Tim

reitenger

I know alfaheaven has a good supply of parts on their site. I just wanted to make sure the brake stuff was the same before I started ordering. TM 9-8020 is the M221 specific TM. I have the GMC 302 manual and the 211 manual downloaded already and will download the one for the hydramatic transmission this evening when I get home to the cable internet.
hippiedude - Let me know how much to get that waterpump from you.

M215

M221

Congratulations on your new M221 tractor, neat truck. There is one available locally to me that I'd like to pick up, it is a runner too.

Your M221 shares the same shorter chassis as my M215. There are a few differances but the brakes are all the same for all the G749 series trucks except for the trailer air brake set up unique to your tractor.

Your fuel tank and tank support arms are different as well as the rear drive shafts are shorter.

I had good luck with Memphis Equipment for parts. You will find many of the fellow GMC M211 / M135 owners here on SS to be a great help.

Good luck, Karl

one of my parts trucks is a m 221 the brakes are the same . I bought shoes- wheel cylinders-master cylinder- frount wheel brake hoses from antilope valley . the wheels are the same as the m35 . the best manual I used was tm 9-8024 it is wore out and taped back together it is a must have 688 pages from memphis equiment .

nattieleather

The brakes are IMHO better on a M211/M135 and varants than they are on the M35. Tires and rims will interchange with the M35. So unless you want to be a purist you can change the rims from a M35 and get rid of the rivited rims. Hunt around for parts. You'll be surprised at what can be found at a good truck shop. I got my MC for my 211 when I had it from the local Truck parts store. Good luck with the restore and keep us posted with lots of pics!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will find that the rims on an M135, if original, have a different offset than the rims on the dual wheel models. The hub flange offset is also different for the duals, but I think the hubs can be reversed to change over from one to the other.
Regards Marti

I used the ramp the fifth wheel was missing when I picked it up . about the only things left are the front axle and one rear axle with out third member and the cab on a rolling frame . parts truck #2 has bad motor trans mission and linkage cab outer windsheld frame .one rear axle and other parts if you have room for a parts truck come get one or both I need the room kenny

reitenger

I have managed to find a great deal on a complete set of tires and rims from an M35. I was hoping to be able to pull off the stock wheels and throw these on to get it towed home and give me time to pull the stock rims down and have them blasted and painted. Not planning on running the m35 rims once I get the stock ones loking the way they should. Plus i'd prefer to do the bare minimum to it to get it home and work on it on my turf. If I can just show up with tires on rims and do a quick swap jerk some driveshafts and hook up a towbar to get home i'll be happy.

reitenger

topo said:
I used the ramp the fifth wheel was missing when I picked it up . about the only things left are the front axle and one rear axle with out third member and the cab on a rolling frame . parts truck #2 has bad motor trans mission and linkage cab outer windsheld frame .one rear axle and other parts if you have room for a parts truck come get one or both I need the room kenny
I'm not falling for that one. I'm not going to pull you out of the doghouse with your wife so I can sleep on the couch.......
Seriously though I don't have the space for a parts truck.