• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick 200 amp regulator question.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I have a keyed battery disconnect. Sometimes when I start the HMMWV (m1123) the generator shows like it's about to start charging, it goes slightly into the green between glow plug pulses, but then drops back to yellow and stays there. If I turn off the engine, tap on the regulator a little bit, then restart, it will charge normally. As long as I don't turn off the ground disconnect it will continue to work properly, but if I disconnect the ground I have to tap in the regulator before it will charge.

Before I start tearing things apart, is it even possible to service the regulator for the 200 amp generator, or is my only option replacing it?

Or is there possibly something else I might be overlooking?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would start with the basics. Check every cable on the alt and make sure connections are good at all ends. Reg can be bad but a loose or bad cable internally can be suspect as you Tweak it.

My understanding is that is a replacement item. i have not seen anything on one disassembled. I believe there are 2 different niehoff regulators for that unit depending on when built. Not sure if interchangeable.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've checked over the cables, and can't find any issues with any of them.

Added question, does the smart start or control box or whatever it is also give a signal to the regulator to start charging, or is the generator/regulator completely independent of the start control box?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks