• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

quick IP replacement question

BobMassive

Hello. So I needed a new IP. Don't have the means to do myself so brought to my mechanic. Turns out they removed the water pump. Everything I've read about this process doesn't include water pump removal. They didn't say why but said to come in and they'd show me why. At 80 bucks an hour I'm none to pleased. Are they right? What are they going to try and pull on me and how can I explain to them how to do it with the pump on? Any quick response would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont know the answer, but can comment that an hour or two labor is the least of your worries. I had the IP changed in my CUCV recently...it was a thousand bucks for a rebuilt one w/ labor. So now that I have replaced the most expensive part of the truck, I may as well fix the little stuff and drive it 8<(

Stonepicker1

The TM will tell how it's done. Print the pages out and show the mechanic.

You do not remove the water pump to replace the injector pump. Did they drop something behind the timing cover? Bolt maybe?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet they dropped one of the three bolts for the IP gear.

Only thing on the front of the engine that needs to be removed is the oil filler neck. That is how you remove the three bolts for the gear.

BobMassive

Ultimately your right. I was skeptical of even bringing it in as its not a diesel shop but just wanted to be armed with more knowledge before I go try and negotiate. Thanks for the reply.

BobMassive

Well it looks like the TM actually shows the ip being removed without the water pump or timing cover on though all the forum references say the three ip bolts can be removed through the oil filler hole. I guess next time i'll bring it to someone who works on these engines more regularly. Or do it myself.

V8Astro

I'm an ASE certified auto tech. This situation happens alot. As a customer your best plan is to say that AllData shows 3.6hrs labor to replace the pump. For whatever reason they removed the water pump it should not add any time to the labor you pay. If they dropped a bolt, then tough titty. You labor cost should not be higher than $288 (3.6hrs x $80/hr shop rate).

Be nice. Be smart. You'll come out on top :beer:

BobMassive

They said they didn't drop anything but preferred to take it off so as to be able to see and mark the timing gear. Plus he said he'd have 10 or so hours into it!!!!! Should've known when he said he owns a powerstroke. All and all they gave me a fair price and gave me a new water pump for a song but man, lesson learned. Thanks for that tip on alldata. Id never heard of that before.

mutt1966

The timing gears ARE marked and cant change as long as you dont remove the top gear which cant be done with the water pump on, Iam going with tyhe dropped bolt

Asgar

I changed my IP on my 1008, as already said, you just remove the intake manifold, IP lines, oil filler neck then the thee bolts 'inside'. no need to remove the water pump. This was my first time and I never saw a torn down 6.2 before so it was read the manual and dive in.

Mutt1966 / all, do you guys know for a fact that the top gear can not be lifted up enought to get out of time with the bottom gear? I am wondering because I was nervous about that and did not want to find out by triall and error. I almost pulled off the water pump to look at the marks as well because I could not tell for sure I did not lift the top gear and disengage from the bottom gear. I would guess they would engineer the housing to prevent this. I'm sure those of you with more experience would know the anwser to this one. I also was really careful not to drop one of the three bolts.

Another posibility is the got confused as to whether the drive pin goes in the slot or a hole and wanted to look at the timeing marks.

BobMassive

I saw it with the timing cover off and it did look like the gears could possibly disengage with the cover on. But I was under the impression that as long as you didn't bump or turn the engine with all three bolts out that the gear wasn't going to go anywhere. Better safe than sorry I guess.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remove water pump and front timing cover and automatically replace timing chain and
gears & ballancer and I will replace Water pump just for good measure it just prevent any future failure.

And retime the IP to spec with Timing Meter.
And she ready to go for long time.
As for the harmonic balancer it just save the crank from trashed or broken from bad harmonic balancer do to dry rot in the rubber.:driver:2cents2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks