• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick Question on 1-1/4" NPT Holes on Bottom of M548A1 Final Drive...

TSJim

Hi All...

I'm working on an M548A1 for a client, and he asked me what the threaded holes are on the bottom of the final drive housings are for.

The holes are threaded to 1-1/4" NPT pipe thread.

What are those for? It seems that there is a different plug for the final drive fluid drain on the outboard face of the final drive, so I don't think this hole is a drain. Also, the TMs show the hole as being empty with no plug installed. It doesn;t feel greasy or oily inside the hole.

What is this hole for?

IMG_7249.jpg

Thanks!

snowtrac nome

They are low point drains, you leave them open for storage so water that accumulates in the tub can drain out. You are supposed to install them before operation, and most importantly before fording.

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
oh thank god, mine were missing two and i thought they were the drain plugs for the final drive and they were dripping water a little after it rained so i was afraid that my final drives would have to come out anf be gone through..... yay!

TSJim

I found new plugs at McMaster Carr. Part number is "44605K668". Here is a link: https://www.mcmaster.com/#44605K668

44605K668.png

They're only $5 each! I put them in today. Just put a little teflon tape around the threads and screwed them right in. I chose these plugs because they have a female drive hex wrench hole, rather than a square head sticking out. I didn't want to risk catching the heads on a log or rock and tearing it off. They screw in just about all the way, so they are fairly flush with the bottom of the final drive housing.

oh thank god, mine were missing two and i thought they were the drain plugs for the final drive and they were dripping water a little after it rained so i was afraid that my final drives would have to come out anf be gone through..... yay!