• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick question - which axles

jasonjc

I thought the Timken's were the bolt together ones. The GMC's I think are call GM bandjo axles. I may be wrong , if so some one please tell me.

Section8

Google GM Corp 2.5 ton axles and you will find many sites and write ups about them.
As stated 6.17 to 1 ratio.
Differential chuck and ring and pinion were made by Eaton as far as I can tell from my research. They are a HO110 ring and pinion. 12.5 or so inches in diameter.
There was three ratios made for this ring and pinion size. 7.20 to 1, the military version which we have is 6.17 to 1, and the holy grail if you find a set. 5.43 to 1. The 5.43 were said to be used in early 80's, C30 service trucks.

sluggish

And how do these compare to a Rockwell setup? Better, worse, stronger, weaker, just as good because Rockwells are overrated due to great marketing?

Section8

As to which is a better axle, GM Corp. or Rockwell, that depends on your preferences.
Do you want top loading diffs like Rockwells or front face loading loading like the GM Corp.
I believe I read some where that the GM axle shafts are a little thicker than Rockwells. However with the advancement of metallurgy I would assume the Rockwell axles are probably stronger.
Rockwells axles Do have more of a market for parts and aftermarket goodies. GM Corp. axles don't. They have basic gaskets kits and a few replacement parts still out there. However those are getting slimmer and slimmer as time goes by.
Best bet is to consider what you are trying to go for as far as which axle to use.
If you have the money for Rockwells and the aftermarket goodies the fly at it.
I prefer the GM Corp cuz I have 3 ratio options to choose from and I am striving for is the holy frail 5.43 to 1 to being up my top speed a little. I don't want to have a speed machine just to be able to hit 100km or 60mph comfortably and not melt my engine in the process.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks