• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick tip for changing air/hydraulic oil

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I decided to change my air/hydraulic system oil back to the 5606H. I had naively refilled it with regular tractor hydraulic oil after the cab latch seals failed a while back. The 5606H has corrosion inhibitors that help keep the system from rusting out from the inside, and costs about $7/qt.

The easiest way I found to flush the system was:

1.) Raise the cab.
2.) Disconnect the hydraulic line from the back of the cab latch, and put it into a container. (System holds ~3qt, so use a suitably sized container or empty it a few times.)
3.) Continue to pump the "raise cab" setting, until the no more fluid discharges into the container (~2qt).
4.) Reconnect the hydraulic line.
5.) Refill the reservoir with ~2qt of hydraulic fluid. (Approximately equal to what you pumped out. This will probably overfill the reservoir a bit.)
6.) Start the engine (with the cab raised, to keep air pressure in the pumping system, or use the manual pump).
7.) Lower and raise the spare twice.
8.) Lower and raise the cab twice.
9.) Repeat steps 2-4.
10.) Stop the engine.
11.) Refill the reservoir to the proper level. (~1.5qt. Put the dipstick in, without screwing it in, and the level should be between the marks.)

This works because the pump is constantly trying to pressurize the cab latch to unlock it while pumping to raise the cab.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks