• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R6602 Gasser In A Bobbed Deuce???

SasquatchSanta

I've been spending some time in the 5-Ton section of the site reading about the R6602 gasser engine.

I'm guessing that some of the really bad MPG numbers I'm reading about like 2 MPG have a lot to do with heavy gross weights.

Does anyone know if a R6602 will fit in an M35? I'm guessing if there is a problem it would be with radiator capacity. Any opinions?

if an R6602 engine could be shoe-horned into an M35 does anyone have an educated guess as to what kind of fuel mileage a well tuned rebuilt and possibly modified engine might be capable of yielding in a 10,000 pound truck with spin out front hubs and 1400 rubber?

Also, Does anyone know what the RPM red-line on a R6602 is.

I'm thinking about building a bobbed deuce and would like to explore the gasser route.

Much oblidged.

SasquatchSanta

The reason I am thinking R6602 is because I figured it would be easier to bolt up in the same way putting an LDS Multi-Fuel in an M35 would be.

I want to be able to keep the standard M35 transmission.

Do you have something in mind?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I do not think it will fit (lenqth-wise).

lacoda56

The 6602 is a heavy, slow turning,(manual says 2,800 rpm) high torque engine. Seems to me you'd be way better off adapting a big block gas engine already designed to do what you have in mind. The 6602 is an awesome engine that has the abillity to twist off driveshafts, but it's kinda like an old D8 cat, it'll never be a racehorse.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
So the 1957 M 52 I am getting should stay with a 6602 and be good enough to pull the M 127 right? I know we had bid old gas engines in old trucks on our farm and they just seemed to run and run year after year. points and plugs seemed to be all we ever had to do to them.

jeli

SasquatchSanta said:
The reason I am thinking R6602 is because I figured it would be easier to bolt up in the same way putting an LDS Multi-Fuel in an M35 would be.

I want to be able to keep the standard M35 transmission.

Do you have something in mind?
If your not 100% set on keeping the original trans. Being a chevy guy that's what I like to work with but it doesn't matter. I'm thinking that finding an older school bus with a 366 big block gas and Allison AT545 would be a good fit. The AT 545 is a four speed auto but no overdrive. In school buses they are rated for 30K gvw. At first I dismissed it but if you plan on running larger tires it should work just fine. At 3000 rpm direct drive you get the following speeds with larger tires.

44" = 58 mph
46" = 61 mph
49" = 65 mph
52" = 69 mph

While the 366 isn't my first choice it's a strong engine. You could do a similar install using Ford or Dodge engines. Both the 300 6 cyl and 460 V-8 Ford industrial engines were available with an SAE 3 setup.

It all depends on what is most comfortable for you to deal with.

m139h2otruck

I agree, the 5 ton gasser is real heavy (2100#) & long (almost 4 feet) and at max a 3,000 rpm engine. We have a 1984 F700 Louisville style Ford 6 wheel flat bed with a 370 4V that does an easy 65 mph in high 5th gear @ 4,000 rpm on 1100x20 tires (don't know the rear ratio). The 370 is a small bore version of the 429 truck engine. These engines are cheap and were used in a lot of different applications for a number of years. Even a 460 from an RV or a 1 ton would work with the right bell housing, and most likely be cheaper than a Chevy big block. Another option would be a 330/361/391 Ford FT from a U-haul truck. Ford built millions of these and there are always some around in the truck junkyards.