• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator or hot water bottle

Section8

Well I have searched and searched , yet can't find an answer to my question.
I am looking for the dimensions for the radiator so that I can find a replacement.
My rig did not have one when I purchased it, due to salvaging the copper.
I scavenged a couple radiators to hopefully use but both have been to tall or wide.
I am considering the likely hood of having to get one specially made but am not looking forward to the bill.
That being said I may have to be as such. Since I am going to be running a cummins, I feel a 4 core radiator would be best.
I will continue to do some digging to find my answer, however if one of you nice folks has an idea or has replaced theirs with an after market one please let me know.
Thanks in advance

DUUANE

Im sitting in the ferry terminal waiting to go home to Quallicum for Thanksgiving..if no one else has posted up the dimensions for you by the time i get back to the shop ill get out the tape and do the deed.. for an aftermarket setup i would check out speedway motors..ive ordered stuff from them for rods and its been good..excellent prices too.
They should have an aluminum rad in a configuration you can use..i would say the 2 most important things would be a well thought out energy absorbing mount system to isolate it from vibration so you dont end up with a crack..and a good fitting shroud. 3rd would be a good antifreeze with a chemical package suitable for dissimmilar metals.

Last edited:

Section8

Duuane that would be awesome if you could measure yours up and post. I am sure I am not the only one who would like to know.
I am sure others of us are going to need to replace their radiators sooner or later due to age.
If your radiator is not actually out of its housing then don't go to to much trouble.
As for stable housing and isolation from vibration, I have the original bucket, no top shroud though.

DUUANE

Ok..ill be heading back to the mainland monday night so if i can get to it tuesday morning ill see what i can see..

Section8

Thank you Topo! That's awesome!
Your radiator still looks good. No fan rubbing in the fins or huge noticeable gaps.
Did you take it out of a runner? Pressure test it?
I am now off to search the interweb for a comparison aftermarket rad. If I find a good one I will post up so that it can be put in our parts list.
Thank you again Topo and Duuane.
God I love our brother hood on here.

DUUANE

That lòoks very close to a 57 chev school bus/2ton rad i have in the yard just with a couple extra gizmos on the top tank. Bet it uses the same core. Ill get some pics and measurements when i get back

Attachments

Section8

Been searching most of the night and it seems a custom built rad is in order.
Biggest reasoning is due to the cummins repower I am doing.
I believe diesel engines tend to run a little hotter and would like to make sure to keep it nice and cool.
Someone correct me if I am wrong.

With a new radiator you can get the hose port the right size and where they are needed. Radiators from the 1950 do tend to be larger and lower pressure then newer ones . I would think a bus radiator would be large enough but I have not seen it . I had to have a lower hose port changed from one side to the other on my 5 ton and was charged $225 they have to take the tank apart .

DUUANE

Here are the pics of the 57 chev 2 ton (18,500lb GVW) school bus rad. It had a 261 six/np420 and wouldve been dead slow with 8.25-20 civvy baloney skins and rear end gearing at 7.2:1
The core its self looks to be 3" thick..not an exact fit but fairly common to find in the back 40's here and would probably work fine for a stock 302.
A cummins swap..i agree..diesel's have higher heat rejection..an aluminum custom rad with the right inlet and outlet would be my first choice.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks