• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radio antenna mount question

JEB

I'm restoring a ex-Army 1955 M38A1.
When acquired, it had a antenna mounting bracket on the left rear quarter.

I am removing it.
The MV expert doing the work doesn't know if the holes for the bracket were drilled at the factory or were they done post delivery.
He thinks (but is not sure) that they were drilled at Willys, and on units that did not have antennas, the holes were filled with plugs.
So the question boils down to should be use plugs or weld the holes shut?

I know this is a pretty esoteric question..but can anyone answer?

Last edited:

JEB

2nd that.

I'd still go for a proper radio set, it's one of the best add-ons in any restoration.

DG
It came with the antenna mount but no radio.
Since the original hood number is lost, I just have the Willys MD serial, and I have no history, I am restoring it in accurate USAF colors. So I don't need a radio.

Thanks to Ziggy and NDT for their replies.

JEB

There is DEF a market for the antenna and mount. They're getting hard to find. BTW why AF colors? Are you former?

Yes, I'm former Air Force, albeit long after the M38A1 period.
The vehicle has no history or hood number, so I'm not erasing history.
I'll keep the parts I take off for the next owner.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks