• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radio Mount MT-297 install issue

doitrightkid

OK I have all except for a RT-66 and a R-110
however I do have 3 mounts ( nt-297) and cables and PSUs (24v)
Im setting up a GRC-8 and a GRC-5.
I Really don't have an Elmer near me so I'm looking hear for help.
I'm trying to not make any bonehead mistakes on the cable hookups and humbly seeking advice on which TM I should be focusing on.
Another need is antenna elements as well as dog-bones for the RT-70 as well as the RT-60s series the over seas on greedybay are just too costly in fact their crazy.
I'm on the west coast near Stanford University and looking for militarily radio clubs or vehicle any good leads?
I also like to know if there is any good ham or radio fests in our area worth the 6 us a gal carvel to coming up?
so thats it for now toon ill be back on air on 20 and 40 meter as K1PAS , hope to hear from anyone then so till then cheers and 73s

papakb

There's more "Elmers" than you would believe in the area!..I'm in San Jose, done military radios for 40 years. You might check out the ASVARO electronic flea market at the Sunnyvale Library in the morning of April 9th (0600-1200).

It's kinda hard to help you with install issues if you don't tell us what your installing the radios in!

KG6KMJ

Wile E. Coyote

OK I have all except for a RT-66 and a R-110
however I do have 3 mounts ( nt-297) and cables and PSUs (24v)
Im setting up a GRC-8 and a GRC-5.
I Really don't have an Elmer near me so I'm looking hear for help.
I'm trying to not make any bonehead mistakes on the cable hookups and humbly seeking advice on which TM I should be focusing on.
Another need is antenna elements as well as dog-bones for the RT-70 as well as the RT-60s series the over seas on greedybay are just too costly in fact their crazy.
I'm on the west coast near Stanford University and looking for militarily radio clubs or vehicle any good leads?
I also like to know if there is any good ham or radio fests in our area worth the 6 us a gal carvel to coming up?
so thats it for now toon ill be back on air on 20 and 40 meter as K1PAS , hope to hear from anyone then so till then cheers and 73s
Fair Radio Sales in Lima, OH often has a bunch of stuff for the older family sets, and they have the RT-70 dogbone for $50. All of the online pricing everywhere - Ebay included - will be about the same. The *only* deals you're going to get...at all...are in person at Hamfests and swapmeets and things. And even then you *might* find someone with a dogbone for $35...but you're going to be going to a dozen hamfests and snooping through a dozen boxes of junk in order to save $15. Some people enjoy the challenge...I'd sooner lick paint.

In general the military radio hobby is having a lot of problems at the moment. A lot of knowledgeable guys with vast stocks of stuff in the rafters above their garages suddenly go SK - leaving the relatives to dispose of it all (frequently in the local landfill) -- plus the interest level just isn't there with the 30-somethings. Basically that means go and *spend* the money on that cable or mount when you see it - because in another two years you might not even see it.

Most of the stuff for the 1950s pre-VRC-12 family is still easily obtainable reasonably. Even Fair Radio has some deals on it, and they've traditionally (since 1988 when I've been following them) been on the high side of everything. Anyway - here's the link to the dogbone - partway down the page:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks