• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

railroad picture

littlebob

I don't have any pic's, but I remember during Desert Storm seening tanks trucks and other equipent moving by rail through Baton Rouge over the
I-110 overpass of the rail line.
littlebob

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Different Combo

I tool a dozen or so shots of different combos of tracks and trailers and specialty trucks with trailers on flat beds this one of the more interesting combos.
James G.

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm... If I could sneak out behind one of those trains with another engine, and steal the last few cars off of it.... :twisted:

Worst part about shipping stuff like that out in the open is people love to throw things at the train. Also, when they used to haul cars in the open auto racks, people would jump onboard with a few tools and you would see tires and batteries dropping off the train for miles.

M1075

Man, I would love one of those MVTRs! I hope it is just a matter of time, but with the RESET/RECAP programs, the medium & heavy vehicles in use now will stay in use for quite some time.

greenjeepster

Those pics are so cool, we get train loads of fema trailers and toyotas here in lexington, but I haven't ever seen a MV train. Trucks loads of Hmmwvs head north through here on I75 and then south again all armored. Do you ever get to run loads of MVs, I am not sure I would beable to keep from wandering back and having a look

carguy455

Man that stuff is making me sad. When I was a kid in the 70's we still had major military bases here in Maine and stuff like this and more was shipped by rail and truck through my area , but now our bases are all but gone. Lucky to see the occassional sets of HUMVEE's on truck going to the old Loring AFB to be rebuilt. Seeing those trainloads reminds me many are being shipped out to help support our forces over in Iraq and Afghanistan..kinda makes me sad. Not that I do not support the war, would just like to see them over, our folks back home safe here in the good 'ol USA and all that equipment surplus for clowns like us to try to buy through GL. Hopefully every piece we saw in those photos will help protect and keep our troops out of harms way.

davesgmc

I live only a few miles from I-70 here in Kanass CIty, KS. I frequently see MV's on truck headed down the highway. Just yesterday I saw what looked like (and I aint no expert) a hemmit tow truck? It actually pulled in a rest stop, I pulled in behind it to take pics, but dag! The batteries in the camera where DEAD! Imagine it was something coming from Ft Riley. We ahve large train yards here in KC too, but I have never seen a large quanity of MV's on any of the trains. Just not looking hard nuff I guess.

Oh and baout throwing rocks at trains? "BAD idea! When I was a kid i had a friedn throw a rock, it hit the train, bounced right back, whacked him in the head! Hard enough to fracture ihs skull. He didnt have any permanet damage, but has a large scr and a dent in his forehead to remind him to not do it again!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
carguy455 said:
Man that stuff is making me sad. When I was a kid in the 70's we still had major military bases here in Maine and stuff like this and more was shipped by rail and truck through my area , but now our bases are all but gone. Lucky to see the occassional sets of HUMVEE's on truck going to the old Loring AFB to be rebuilt. Seeing those trainloads reminds me many are being shipped out to help support our forces over in Iraq and Afghanistan..kinda makes me sad. Not that I do not support the war, would just like to see them over, our folks back home safe here in the good 'ol USA and all that equipment surplus for clowns like us to try to buy through GL. Hopefully every piece we saw in those photos will help protect and keep our troops out of harms way.

Nah. I'd like to see all that gear back in the USA, our soldiers in the USA, the older stuff get surplused, and the NEW gear on the southern border with the guns loaded and pointed SOUTH.

carguy455

Nah. I'd like to see all that gear back in the USA, our soldiers in the USA, the older stuff get surplused, and the NEW gear on the southern border with the guns loaded and pointed SOUTH.[/quote]

Lets not forget to point guns EAST and WEST as well ! Trust no one [ well, except for Canada. ]

rmgill

Canada's doing a pretty good job of getting them settled and converted to being canadians. It's an uphill battle but Canada's shown that they're good at uphill battles when it counts. see Vimy Ridge and Dieppe for an example.

Capt.Marion

If I was engineer/ conductor on one of those freight trains, I'd pay the extra million bucks to have them put in a spur line right through my back yard, with unloading docks, too...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks