• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rare MV? 1956 M220

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That yellow rig could also be a tower to hook skylines to haul logs from difficult sites. Saw this on History channel, story about loggers in Oregon.
I agree - I believe they are called "yarders". They should have a tower with a bunch of winch cables running off of it in order to tow the felled trees up the mountain to the loading area. The one I saw on the history channel was based on a M4 Sherman chassis. It's a shame, but a bunch of tanks were converted to construction duties like this one, perhaps when they leave service as yarders they might be able to supply some hull and suspension parts to a restoration project, since most of the hull is too far gone to salvage itself....

AaronW

As to the yarder in question. My friend, (the owner) owns a small business that converts these used machines into mobile dredges for gravel pits. This is one of about 60 they have on site. Some are old tank hulls. He claims that most if not all the 100's of massive diesels in his machines will fire up with just a jump. Very impressive to see!