• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Re-gear with smaller tire options?

Guruman

Not so new member
I'm looking to re-gear my m1078.

I've seen lots of discussion on here about 3.07 versus 2.87 either with or without larger tires. the general consensus seems to be that with my A0, 3.07 plus larger tires is not ideal, and 2.87 with the stock size is not either, at least not without adding power

But here's my thought.

What if I went with the. 2.87 gears in my A0, which normally might be too much gear, but I also stepped down a tire size? Running a smaller tire might have some benefit, a lower overall height would make it easier to get in the shop and avoid overhead obstacles, and maybe have slightly lower aerodynamic resistance. Not to mention it might be easier to get into and out of if that first step were a bit lower.

Being a potential overland/exploration rig, I don't intend on doing any hardcore wheeling in it, mostly exploring dirt roads and back byways so losing a couple inches of clearance under the rig might not be a big deal.

Is there a "goldilocks" zone I could hit? Anyone done this? Other things to consider?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Tire sizes smaller in 20in wheels are limited. 365 80 20s are 43in tall and about the only option using a 10in wheel.

You can run 385, 425, 445s in 22.5s but wheels are getting Hard to find in budd super singles.

Common 11r22.5 and 24.5s are skinny that most folks don't like the look of.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks