• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Brake Lock up

47to70

Left home and thought the brake pedal was a bit high but am old and was tired and though it was just me. Picked up a load of hay and got ten miles down the road, looked out my rear-view mirror and saw smoke. Pulled off to the side and smoke was coming off all four rear wheels. Not much I could do on the side of the road but let them cool off and try and limp home. After 1/2 hour started down the road, stopped after 3 miles, no smoke. Went another 3 miles, stopped no smoke so decided to make a run for home. 10 more miles no smoke, brake pedal seemed normal, and brakes had released. I did a minor brake adjustment a few years ago and wonder if I did not over adjust them. It was a 90 degree day and all my driving has been in the cool of the morning. What else might cause all four rear brakes to drag or not release?

Big Tom

If it was ONLY the back and not the front your problem is a bad brake hose from the frame to the back axle , they Collapse inside I do not let the food returned back but the pressure from the pedal will push it by causing it to be trapped
I have seen this many times it can happen to any brake hose

Big Tom

47to70

Ahso.....................sounds like a bad brake line.......................started the old gal up this A.M. and all was good. Your suggestion sounds right as this problem could come and go, and more liky to happen when it's hot. The air pack was replaced just before I got her, 6 years ago but only about 7000 miles ago. There are two rubber brake lines on the back...........would one bad cause both sets of wheels to lock up, or could they both have gone bad in at the same time?

Last edited:

47to70

Rusty,

Yes, just one air pack. I felt the front hubs when she was acting up, they seemed just "normal" warm. Needed to move her yesterday A.M. and she rolled freely. Will order the two rear hoses and hope for the best and it's the cheapest fix. You're up early on a Saturday!

Thanks

rustystud

Rusty,

Yes, just one air pack. I felt the front hubs when she was acting up, they seemed just "normal" warm. Needed to move her yesterday A.M. and she rolled freely. Will order the two rear hoses and hope for the best and it's the cheapest fix. You're up early on a Saturday!

Thanks
Actually I'm up late !
I worked "swing shift" for the last 35 years before retiring. Cannot seem to get my body to adjust to "normal" hours now.

47to70

Update, while waiting for the "flex" lines, pulled all the rear wheels using the caveman method. Shoes looked good, new grease, and adjust. Put new fuel filters on, old ones realy needed replaced (think that they caused the reae brakes to lockup...LOL). Today was cool, took her for a test drive, pedel felt fine, stopped on some mild grades and she rolled freely, no hot hubs. Best theory to me is the rear rubber hoses and a 90-degree day gave them all the excuse they needed to fail. Has anyone had an air pack fail.....come and go? Waiting for solder #2 (aka: #1 son) to show up next week so can put on new lines.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks