• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear half door hinges binding

Stevepsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a set of rear half doors. When I put them on the existing hinges that my soft doors fit on, the half doors bind on the raised heads of the mounting bolts for the hinges. Am I missing something?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same hinges.
Body hinges require the small head 12 point bolt, or you can use Allen head bolts.
Regular 6 point bolt heads hit door hinges when rotated.

911joeblow

If originality is not an issue I use dome head allens than are nearly flat and not only look good but give you lots of clearance. I have found you can tighten up the hinges to get a better seal on the doors with these too.

therooster2001

I just got some X doors from 86humv, and the fronts went on perfect, except the spacer for the 2 click, which is coming. The rears however are not even close to fitting, in fact, I can't even get them on. They seem to hit the edge of the square bar of the hinge, not even the screwhead. I even removed the top screws just to make sure it wasn't that. They ALMOST fit when i forced it a bit, but were about 3/4 of an inch still high. I know there is a debate on the hinges if they are x-door type or both the same. Its like the body hinge wasn't made for this door hinge, but look identical to the fronts. I even tried to loosen and push the washer in and the bar out (looking for any wiggle in the slot holes) to no avail. I am wondering if the door part of the heavy duty hinge is bent inwards. I'll try that tomorrow.

Anyone else have a way to get around this?

Top hinge (door WAY open) - it's almost resting on the top of the corner of the square body hinge.

732a5c9a2d3f6d8ef530ab192afc5c08.jpg

Bottom hinge - you can see evidence of the metal grinding on it.

e95b6edb773b28aaeb799cee7a091945.jpg

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried over 50 body hinges....7 of them would not fit.....probably bent a little.
pic is of the ones that work....still slightly rub bolt head.
These things are not precision.
DSC_000969.JPG

therooster2001

I will take some better picts, it's super obvious that they will never fit. The round part is about 1/3 of the way into the center. Definitely not the washers, even with no washers it still hits. The top is the worst, it sits on the metal bar. I think these are just duds, or the soft doors only hinge rumors are true. I ordered new hinges from Mac, and will post findings, results, etc. Thanks all!

Last edited:

therooster2001

Ok, so the new hinges worked perfect.

They were shifted ever so slightly over. New ones on top, old ones on bottom.

IMG_0378.jpg

New ones on left, old ones on right. See that the rights ones were too much into the center, so they bound.

IMG_0383.jpg

SOLVED!