• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear lights

M37-1952

If your truck is going to be on the road alot, what do most people do about rear lights? Keep stock, gamma goat lens, or M-35 new type? Thanks.

Mark

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the larger trucks, I'd use the newer taillights seen on most deuces. They are big and can be seen easily. The LED lights are even better, but expect to pay $$$$$$.

For my M725, which I bought to drive a little around town (when it's done being painted) I bought new Gama Goat type taillights from Saturn Surplus. They cost $46 a piece, but they have a much larger red area to see, as opposed to the original taillights with the smallish red strip of light.

sermis

I am using the original small red one's on my M725. In the dark they shine good. Around dusk they could be a little bigger. Deuce is using the large ones. A lot more red to see.

Capt.Marion

The original ones should work fine. Friend of mine's has been driving his M37 for 20+ years almost daily with original lights and no problems.

gwalker

If it doesnt already have it add the second tail light on the right side the orignal single tail light isnt good for modern use but i have operated my 715 for 13 yrs ok w the smaller type lights

CGarbee

I run with the stock housing with goat lenses and have replaced the bulbs with LED replacements...
If you swap the original style round lights (both the three bulb or the two bulb variety) for a modern composit, you will have to redrill the mounting holes about a half inch lower on the bracket as the distance from the top of the compostite lights to the centerline of the mounting holes in them is greater than the available clearance using the stock bracket holes (not a biggie, but something to know about when you walk out to the truck to mount them). Also, keep in mind that the composits are tall enough that you can't use them with the USMC rear lifting shackle relocation/light guard as it wraps around the light and was not designed to go around such a tall unit.

Photos of the rear of my USMC M37 with the Gama Goat lenses (M561) mounted along with the correct USMC pieces are all over my website... :)

I run the M561 lenses on my small trailers and trucks, the larger stuff runs with the composits.

Good luck.

BEASTMASTER

my 5 ton had the original little round ones until the town dot cop was behind me one night when i was plowing.at the coffee shop he politely asked me to get some lights that you could actually see in a snowstorm.

m376x6

CGarbee said:
I run with the stock housing with goat lenses and have replaced the bulbs with LED replacements...
If you swap the original style round lights (both the three bulb or the two bulb variety) for a modern composit, you will have to redrill the mounting holes about a half inch lower on the bracket as the distance from the top of the compostite lights to the centerline of the mounting holes in them is greater than the available clearance using the stock bracket holes (not a biggie, but something to know about when you walk out to the truck to mount them). Also, keep in mind that the composits are tall enough that you can't use them with the USMC rear lifting shackle relocation/light guard as it wraps around the light and was not designed to go around such a tall unit.

Photos of the rear of my USMC M37 with the Gama Goat lenses (M561) mounted along with the correct USMC pieces are all over my website... :)

I run the M561 lenses on my small trailers and trucks, the larger stuff runs with the composits.

Good luck.
Hi Cabell
I thought I'd mess with you just a bit :)

Regards,
Bryan

Attachments

CGarbee

Nice job Bryan. :)
I really do have to stopy by your place nextime I'm in Black Forest visiting my niece and nephew...

I like that tailgate too... You make it beafy enough to serve as a bench/table when out in the woods?

m376x6

CGarbee said:
Nice job Bryan. :)
I really do have to stopy by your place nextime I'm in Black Forest visiting my niece and nephew...

I like that tailgate too... You make it beafy enough to serve as a bench/table when out in the woods?
Maybe a little too beefy. The darn thing weighs a ton. It does what I hoped it would though. I backed into a tree last weekend and banged the truck pretty hard on the tailgate, didn't even phase it. Please plan to come on up, if you have the time we can take the two trucks for a run and whatever other toys I have at the time. I live here at 8,500 feet with a National Forrest in my backyard so there are trails everywhere.

Regards,
Bryan

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have run the small originals forever. I moumted another Left light. on the right & ran an extra wire over there to power it.

They are smaller, but I always thought that with their original glass lenses, they were extra bright, which compensated for their smallness. That said, they are small, and bigger is probably better!

Lee in alaska

m376x6

rosco said:
I have run the small originals forever. I moumted another Left light. on the right & ran an extra wire over there to power it.

They are smaller, but I always thought that with their original glass lenses, they were extra bright, which compensated for their smallness. That said, they are small, and bigger is probably better!

Lee in alaska
Maybe not better, I ran the originals for almost 23 years up and down the highways and backroads hunting and when I didn't have a truck that could tow these M37's on a trailer I drove the M37's to where we were hunting and used them everywhere and for everything and never even got stopped or had one comment about their size. I've done the same thing to get a left and right turn signal and stop lights.

My son and I are planning on one day going to Alaska and do some caribou hunting. They had an expo this week in Denver. One fellow wanted $12,500 to hunt one caribou. Another company offers the service of flying you to a destination around there locale and dropping you off and picking you up in a week or so for $850. You gotta find a way to get to them and all they provide is a flight to the location of their choice. A great expo if you wanted to hunt in Africa or fish in Alaska. They had lots of four wheelers, they're getting bigger than the old CJ2A's and the original WWII Jeeps. Hopefully this year I'll finally draw my Big Horn Sheep license. It's been over a decade since I started applying.

Regards,
Bryan

badgmc56

I have the original ones on my GMC that are functional but are adding a second set for signals and braking. Can never have too much lighting in the rear of a MV. Most people are on your butt anyway so extra lighting is a big help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks