• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear rear axle suspension

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the 8x8 was towed from Oklahoma, we suspended the rearmost axle as shown in image below for a couple of reasons, improve turning and to have spare tires available.
We used a chain after the axle was lifted with the crane.

Question: Is there an accepted method to this with some gizmo that will not require a crane or perhaps even a jack?

My plan is to drive with the axle suspended whenever possible to improve fuel economy for one thing.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possibly, if it's an accepted way to do it, don't know about the rules of the road for this....
Maybe a truck junk yard would have something....

Westech

CPL
Well first I would say is it worth the savings in fuel? Second; will the rear suspension be able to move and work as it should? I would think there could be some ill effects with the front half doing all the work and the rear hanging (rebound and compression). I would have to think that chaining up the rear would be the best way to support the axle. Giving it the ability to move a little bit. If you were to use a "bar" to raise and support the rear axle the shock of going down the road my hurt another component. I would think twice about raising the rear axle in order to save on fuel, and keep that to a emergency use only.

if u raised it i dont think u would wanta do it with anything that would be solid.. as to what Westech said as it could cause a chain of effect.. i guess i was kinda thinking of making a airbag type set up or something can could allow it to move a little bit but yet keep it up outta the way..

joq867

Try a truck junk yard, look at the tag axle of a tri-axle dump truck. It raises and lowers via a dash mounted switch. Springs raise it for cornering and air bags lower it for more wieght capacity.

Monty

You could also look at steerable tag, which would give you the option of leaving it down while cornering. They use them on some tri and alot of quad axle dump trucks.
Cool looking truck by the way.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your responses, I'll do some research. It would only be for hwy use, of course.

Monty, I love that truck, it is great to work on, lots of features, zero rust with all the aluminum, better hp to weight ratio of just about any MV (at least w/o a trailer). I have had many systems taken apart and start to get things together now. Driving it should be interesting.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Westech said:
Well first I would say is it worth the savings in fuel? Second; will the rear suspension be able to move and work as it should? I would think there could be some ill effects with the front half doing all the work and the rear hanging (rebound and compression). I would have to think that chaining up the rear would be the best way to support the axle. Giving it the ability to move a little bit. If you were to use a "bar" to raise and support the rear axle the shock of going down the road my hurt another component. I would think twice about raising the rear axle in order to save on fuel, and keep that to a emergency use only.
:ditto:

Cdub

When towing a heavy duty truck we would pull the axles in the rear as not have the drive train turning when elevated in the front so that parts of the drive line wouldn't turn with out any lube hitting the gears.

The only time we would chain a rear up is when we towed a tractor from the back and would chain up the tandem axle.

Otherwise no......we would not chain up any rear axles unless there was damage to it for some reason.

C'dub

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
does the 757 have a power divider for the rear set of axles, is it does then you could airbag it and just thow the power divider out to disconect the two axles from each other

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah Ron, the drive shaft between the axles can be (and still is) removed.
I'm a little concerned about the tires and by being able to suspend this axle, I basically have two extra tires in a pinch. Turning radius should be improved with one axle suspended too. May not effect fuel economy much, though....

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the two rear axles connected? Like a 2 1/2 ton or 5ton boogie style set up? If so i would be conserned about the u-joints operating at thier max angles for long periods of time With the rear lifted.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if you dont plan on installing the drive shaft between the axles, then the air bag set up that was talked about before would work great, to bad the front rear axle does not have a power divider

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks