• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recirculating Coolant Heater?

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We use them on our larger diesel fueled generators at tower sites. They do work well on keeping the engine coolant in a warm to hot temperature range.
Easier starts and the engine is ready to take the full electrical load when the transfer switch connects the building load to the generator.

Only ever had one burn out after nearly 20 years of continuous use.

I have not used on on a CUCV.

Tailwheel

Can’t help you as I’ve never used one of those but there might be some good info at ExpeditionPortal.com.

Those folks build some wild overland expedition vehicles and often used multiple types of coolant heaters and exchangers in various different ways.

2INSANE

Let’s talk about this. So the outlet would be a t fitting on one of the heater core hoses and the inlet would be somewhere on the lower end of the block…. So where is the best place on the lower end of the block to tap into?

Perhaps a freeze plug on driver side with a bung welded to it?

Last edited:

Skinny

We use them on our larger diesel fueled generators at tower sites. They do work well on keeping the engine coolant in a warm to hot temperature range.
Easier starts and the engine is ready to take the full electrical load when the transfer switch connects the building load to the generator.

Only ever had one burn out after nearly 20 years of continuous use.

I have not used on on a CUCV.
I see a lot of these on the standby units I work on, especially the Generac and Winco units. Handful of them I've replaced due to leaks. One burned out because a freeze plug leaked draining the coolant, then the heater went full on meltdown...

Other then that pretty good. Probably can't find one better for the money.
IMG_20211220_100856190.jpg

2INSANE

If no one has done one of these recirculating coolant heaters on their CUCV, I’ll do one and do a write up on it! I think this would be a much better solution to warming the motor and radiator at the same time with only one unit.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If no one has done one of these recirculating coolant heaters on their CUCV, I’ll do one and do a write up on it! I think this would be a much better solution to warming the motor and radiator at the same time with only one unit.
It definitely would be a useful tool in a seriously cold environment.

Would think it would be a BIG PLUS to add valves on the block (inlet and outlet) to shut it down if a hose broke or the plastic heater cracked. Moving water seems like a heck of a plan to me too!

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at a Kat's Heaters Thermostatically controlled tank heater # KH13150. 120 volt- 1500 watt.
These have been used for a long time on tractors and trucks.

ssdvc

I thought there was an older thread on this and that it couldn't be done because of the way our coolant is routed. I have used these types of heaters on my older diesel VW's with really good results and would love to put one on my 1009. I hope someone finds a way.

2INSANE

I thought there was an older thread on this and that it couldn't be done because of the way our coolant is routed. I have used these types of heaters on my older diesel VW's with really good results and would love to put one on my 1009. I hope someone finds a way.

I have a cold advance switch, radiator needs swapped and thermostat needs done here soon. Will have to drain the coolant. Will be a perfect time to experiment and report back how it works.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks