• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

recommended tire sizes?

mangus580

Unless you put a lift in, I think you will have clearence issues with 33's.

I see alot of Goodyear ATR's on them coming from the Gov....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the factory 8" wheels the 33 will fit. Any type of a bind while turning with develop contact between the front fender lower corners and the tires. The fenders can be trimmed but unless it was a beater ten-o-nine, I wouldn't chop the sheetmetal. Street use all the time and you could get away with it. Your call! As far as tires, I liked the old Wrangler MTs but I think they've been replaced with the MTR. The MTs have the same tread as the radial MTs on the HMMW which looks cool.

mangus580

MT's are LOUD.... we have them on our Jeep... :) Maybe they wouldnt be as bad on a 1009 with the rattle of the diesel, and the tires on average 2' farther from you in each corner than a TJ ;-)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, I had 35s on a CJ5 and found them to be quite friendly. Not as quiet as BFG all terrains but a better tire. Maybe its because my hearing has been destroyed by all the "C" turbos, nitro burning racers and my stubbornness to protect me ears. Wait, did you say trudge through the snow? You guys are killing me!

Armada

What!?!? 'go get me ears'??? ...... :)

Yeah, that white stuff. You're not missing anything Ken. Had to shovel a foot off of mine again from last weeks storm... :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I lived in the Buckeye, I never shoveled the stuff, just beat it into submission with the trucks. Love the snow!

Dieselsmoke

I agree, 33s will fit no problem but off road rubbing could occur. I put a 2" add a leaf on one 1009 and it looked great. I'd consider regearing with the larger tire though.

Warren Lovell

regearing?

why would I consider regearing?

Here is how I use the M1009 - dailey freeway use to work, and an occassional trip to the desert where the roads are dirt and sand, but no rock climbing. Am I going to lose a noticeable amount of torque?

Warren

mangus580

the 1009 has poor gearing to begin with. Adding a taller tire is just going to make it worse. I have plans for some day (when I am rich and famous) I want to put an OD tranny in with like 3.73 gears...

Warren Lovell

So...give me a lesson on the M1009 gearing.

What are the issues with the gearing?

Mine will cruise at 70-75 with no problems.

I just took it to the desert and only went down some rough roads made of dirt. Then hit some sand and went into 4-wheel. I didn't have any problems, but really didn't ask too much from my truck other than to get me from point "A" to point "B".

I realize this is a 4x4 truck, and no speed demon, so I don't expect much from it. The truck does what it needs to do, but if you have improvements...let's hear em. I'm all for improving this beast.

warren

mangus580

Its more that the gears arent 'low' enough. The 1009 has 3.08 gears which are really 'high'. The 1009 would get up to speed a little quicker, and have more low end torque at the rear wheels.

Does that make sense? Maybe someone else can explain better.

Dieselsmoke

Like mangus said, youre gonna lose a lot more torque and the engine won't be operating in the "power band" it was designed for. Freeway fuel mileage will be good but in town fuel mileage will hurt. Should the need arise to pass someone speed won't be a problem, but getting up to passing speed will.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I'm right all other (heavier) members of the CUCV family came with a 4.56:1 ratio. That's a big jump from 3.08 and to short unless you have overdrive and put on 33/35 inch rubber!

For reference I have the 6.2 diesel & TH400 in my M886 Dodge ambulance with 4.10:1 and 285/75R16 BFGs (33"dia.). It's almost to low or short for hiway at 60-70 mph., 3.73 would be better.

Gerhard

Attachments

Prerunner1982

Though its not a CUCV and not a 6.2, my 82 silverado has 32"s on it with 3.08 ratio. City mileage sucks and highway is good as long as you dont have a head wind. you wont have the torque to over come the force of the headwind and your speed will suffer. Your ability to climb inclines.. paved or not will suffer as well.. the high (lower numberically) will also put more of a strain on your trans with the larger tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks