• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reconfiguring MEP-006A GenSet

Guyfang

Staff member
The MEP-003A comes in a standard version, (non ASK) and a ASK, (Acoustic Suppression Kit version). It's not all that loud in the standard version. No, you can not run it when your neighbor lives 50 feet from the set, without him wanting to kill you. But the ASK, or a very good muffler system might be what you need. We put them in a sandbag bunker, and ran the exhaust through a homemade muffler system that reduces the noise to the point that it was almost non existent.

All MEP-002 up to the MEP-006 are somewhat loud. They all wet stack. Unless you run them at 75-80% load or more, it something you have to live with. The problem was so bad in HAWK Air Defence, that the military at last came up with a parasitic load bank. It was mounted on top of the gen set, (15 KW up to 60 KW) and could be set for up to 50% of rated load, in four 7.5 KW steps. Overload rejection was automatic or manual, depending on the position of the Overload rejection switch. It worked, but was so seldom used, due to ignorance of its capabilities, or that fact that it often shut off a gen set that was powering a radar tracking hostile aircraft, that no one trusted it. Most load banks went to the scrap heap.

Before you decide what set you want, you need to set down and figure out what you want it to do, and what it's supposed to power. But from reading your posts, I think you might get by with a smaller set. SPEDDMON might be able to help you with that. I personally love the MEP-006A set. But if you don't need that much power, don't spend the money on it. Get what you need, and maybe a tad more.

truckdude22

Good post. The hostile aircraft thing was funny. Not at the time though im sure. Load banks are expensive from what I've seen. Yes from time to time ill be welding solo and will only be pulling in the neighborhood of 70-130 amps but I can set another machine up on a sacrificial metal to run here and there to boost load. When two machines are running ill be right under the 200 and change mep006 amp output...unless I'm missing something and it pushes more amps than that. A tig weld arc on a thick piece of steel with a blunt electrode will disperse wide pattern broad electricity. Maybe it's a bad idea to be at 100 amps then 170 then zero off and on..so maybe a single welder is my best bet to minimize fluctuation...I don't know how dynamic they are, and I don't know of any load bank that would measure and account for the variable change...that'd be really cool.

Let me run this past you. If I put it on a deuce, and build a box like a box truck giving 2 feet on each side and put foam and cloth in to dampen the sound and leave openings in the top for air to come in would that help? I've heard you won't get enough air flow, but it looks like there's just one big draw vent. How big were the sandbag bunkers? Just a little worried about heat moving up and interfering with the new air flowing in. Look I'm happy to get by with the smallest gen possible. The bigger ones leave me more options if a project needs to get done faster and I have two people welding. 30 kw tq is maybe my best bet but I'd rather not max out the machine especially with fluctuations. The lowest I can go is 30kw.

Guyfang

Staff member
Let me run this past you. If I put it on a deuce, and build a box like a box truck giving 2 feet on each side and put foam and cloth in to dampen the sound and leave openings in the top for air to come in would that help? I've heard you won't get enough air flow, but it looks like there's just one big draw vent. How big were the sandbag bunkers? Just a little worried about heat moving up and interfering with the new air flowing in. Look I'm happy to get by with the smallest gen possible. The bigger ones leave me more options if a project needs to get done faster and I have two people welding. 30 kw tq is maybe my best bet but I'd rather not max out the machine especially with fluctuations. The lowest I can go is 30kw.[/QUOTE]

I posted an answer to the first part of your question on your other thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks