• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery from Norman, OK to Grand Junction, CO

Green_gator

Well my brother is now the happy owner of an M35 in Grand Junction, CO. I flew out to Denver last Thursday and met up with him for the drive to Norman, OK. We picked up the truck on Friday morning with no problems other then it needed a jump and a little air in the tires.. All of the fluids were good, the brakes worked fine and we were off. As we approached Wichita, KS some fun began. All of a sudden we noticed that burning rubber smell so on to the side of the road and shut it down. A quick inspection showed that the fan belt to the air compressor was gone. Air pressure is still good and I can see an exit so off we go and pull into an auto parts store parking lot. Come to find out you have to pull the radiator to swap out that belt given the unique system for tension. Turns out that it was not the belt but the compressor that died. Not many places to get one of them fixed on a Friday afternoon/Saturday morning. After some thinking and discussion with a retired Air Force Maintenance NCO we come up with a plan. We capped off the air line that runs from the compressor to the air tanks. Install a quick disconnect for an air hose into the cab line. With a 12V compressor and a large spare battery we could fill the tanks with enough pressure for the vehicle to operate safely. Worked fine for the whole trip to Grand Junction with out even draining the battery completely. Nice to know that there is an emergency option for pumping air into the tanks.

Attachments

N3Nflyer

Nice job and congratulations on getting it home. Looks like a nice M35. Isn't fun and gratifying to invent solutions on the fly. Breakdowns are just opportunities to invent!

KaiserM109

Interesting story for 2 reasons. First I will be picking up an M109A3 deuce at Norman tomorrow and second I am a former Grand Jct resident.

I went through the 10th grade there, Emerson Elementry on Ute ave, Appleton Elementry on H Rd (I think), Grand Jct Jr. High, Orchard Mesa Jr High and Grand Jct High. GO TIGERS!!

dirtyfingernails

Walter,
The radiator doesn't need to come out to change that belt, I've done it many times. The alternator--now that's a different story. Too bad you're so far away, I've got a take off comprressor in excellent condition here at the house. If you want it, just the say the word--no charge. Let me know.
Steve

jwaller

ya. too bad you took the rad out for no good reason. thats a lot of extra work and hassle and expense.

you can also safely drive the truck without air either. I just did it last month for about 200 miles when the ac belt broke on a truck I was recovering for a member here.

without air you simply dont have any boost in the pedal. it's all manual. so you need a strong leg and some extra following distance but no problems driveing without it.

Bow-man

Sweet! It looks like the same newer paint job as the deuce I just picked up from Norman. They both are 45th Infantry brigade trucks-- I'm sure they are cousins, at least!
I was told mine was in an arty battery in Seminole, and had been through some major reconditioning.
I also like your tan top-- congrats to your bro and most importantly, congrats on the successful recovery at such a long distance!

Green_gator

The radiator was not too bad except for the lower hose. Getting that hose on took more time then the rest of the job. I was not that worried about the brakes while driving the interstate in Kansas and Eastern Colorado but wanted to make sure I had all of the brakes possible for those 11,000' plus passes in the Rockies!

Steve,
I will send you a PM about the compressor.

K5NUTT

I live in...well sort of...grand junction myself. Actually fruita these days. I have a M105A2 out behind the shop i use to haul stuff to the dump when it fills up. She is an ex navy rig with some sort of built cover on her. If your brother starts looking for a trailer i may part with it for a M101A3. If he needs tools send him my way...and if i am not on the rig my shop can be used as well.

DW
USA SP4 63B10H8

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks