• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery gear??

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you pack for winching operations and why? From self recovery operations to lifting tons of stuff.... What suggestions do you have for someone putting a kit together?
Lets hear it!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, I'm spoiled with my k-boom, which does almost everything for me.
A small pick-up truck had slid sideways across a road here on the ice (last year, very little traffic). I drove down the hill to it, moved the crane around and lifted the front end of the PU and placed it right on the road. A chain was used to pull it back up to a level portion of the road.
Used 6-foot lifting straps and a 10-foot long chain for that operation. Tire chains were needed on the icy hill and they were fortunately allready mounted.
My deuce doesn't have a winch, but the crane, a 1/2" wire rope plus a couple of snatch blocks can be used to emulate a winch (image below).
I have used the hydraulic outriggers to lift the front end of the truck once when bogged down in mud to the axle.
Several lengths of chains, nylon lifting straps, snatch block(s), wire rope, blocks of wood, wheel chocks, shackles and tire chains are on my list for recovery gear.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks