• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red seal engine

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I ran across a guy today that said he had gasser deuce ???, with a RED SEAL ENGINE ???, I have never heard of a RED SEAL engine, anybody out there ever here of one and what military vehicle was it in, I have not seen it YET, He is supposed to get me pic. monday or tuesday, I also plan to make a RECON for a eyes on. He said that it has been in the same place for 10 years but "ran when parked"??????, does not know the make or model.

So any help on this, thanks

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Continental produced a lot of engines for both automotive and industrial uses, including military vehicles. A lot of cars, trucks, welders, pumps, fork trucks, etc. used Continental engines. In a previous life I drove a fork truck with a six cylinder Continental engine with the Red Seal logo. Red Seal engines were produced in both 4 and 6 cylinder varieties that I have seen and maybe older models as well.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gas deuces were powered by the OA-331 "Gold Comet" engine made by Reo Motors. The engine was also built by Continental Motors, whose engines are widely known as Continental "Red Seal" Motors. The Continental 331 data plate does not say "Red Seal" on it.

poppop

All the above info is correct Ron. I have an old Allis Chalmers forkift with a flathead four cylinder Continental Red Seal engine in it.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
So this could be a early gasser m35, with a 331 continental,
I knew early m35s had both reo and continental motors, just didn't know that it was called RED SEAL
THANK YOU EVERYBODY

Last edited:

touringfordor

I was at the big antique car swap meet in Hershey PA several years ago and came up with the operation and maintenance manual for a Continental Red Seal tank engine dated April 1941. It is a 9 cylinder air-cooled radial. It's a neat book.

jatonka

I had a Highway Digger model HCBMS with a 244 Continental Red Seal flat head 6 cylinder.

The continental 331 in M35s was called an OAC-331, the C stood for Continental under contract to the Gov't to build the Reo Gold Comet.

emr

I had a Highway Digger model HCBMS with a 244 Continental Red Seal flat head 6 cylinder.

The continental 331 in M35s was called an OAC-331, the C stood for Continental under contract to the Gov't to build the Reo Gold Comet.
So the answer is NO the gasser is not a red seal motor, but it is a continental, thats what i get from this, but an Ol: timer callin it a red seal just means its a continental " to Him " , but there is NO red seal anywhere on there mil motor, i would guess because it is a ... Reo Gold Comet design motor and not a red seal... so no red insight :)... just gold :) :) :)

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well some way this guy knows it is a RED SEAL, I said not a gold comet, or a red diamond, he said no a red seal, I hope to get a eye on it this week.

Fixlinc

Here is one with the OA 331

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=502WJwCESzs&feature=related[/media]

I always a gold comet was a V8 ? They just used gold comet name on lots of Reo engines too ?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC1fV_d7-HI[/media]

armytruck63

The OA 331 is an overhead valve engine, not a flathead like the Red Seal.

International had some interesting "diamond" names for their engines, like "Red Diamond" and "Silver Diamond".

Barrman

As pointed out above. REO made the OA331 overhead valve passenger side intake and exhaust straight 6 with drivers side distributor and spark plugs for their M35 designed truck. Korea increased demand and REO couldn't keep up. That is when Continental started making the OAC331. Just like the 3 different makers of the multifuel LDT-465 motors. There is no difference looking at the engines.

Now, REO made the OA331 for civilian uses as well. Those ones had Golden Comet stamped into the intake/exhaust manifold housings. I have 2 REO M35's and 3 spare manifolds which are military surplus. None of them say Golden Comet anywhere that I can find.

emr

Barrman... Good info, it is NOT a gold comet either, No red No gold.....its a REO OA331 Period...........[thumbzup] unless it was a civy model, and these are NOT civy models, i like correct info like this,.....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks