• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red winch light?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK all- found this in a discussion on FB. Being as my truck has a winch, I would like to eventually acquire one of these for accuracy. (And it's cool af!) Does anyone have a lead on a source?

Screenshot_20220107-175916_Facebook.jpg

Apparently they were used for winch operations at night to reduce "white light" noise during winching operations.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK all- found this in a discussion on FB. Being as my truck has a winch, I would like to eventually acquire one of these for accuracy. (And it's cool af!) Does anyone have a lead on a source?

View attachment 855370

Apparently they were used for winch operations at night to reduce "white light" noise during winching operations.
Ah, like most stuff on FB, that is a load of crap. The Army did not mount red lights on winches.
Red lights facing forward are illegal almost everywhere.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
US wreckers in WWII (M1A1 Ward la France and Kenworth) had a forward red flashing lamp (rear half was a siren), made by the "SirenLite Co" surprisingly, mounted behind the purpose shaped grille on the drivers side fender.
They were identical to period fire trucks except for being unchromed.
Also fitted to the M26 Pacific "Dragon Wagon".

Ward.png
1641862533463.png

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
US wreckers in WWII (M1A1 Ward la France and Kenworth) had a forward red flashing lamp (rear half was a siren), made by the "SirenLite Co" surprisingly behind the purpose shaped grille on the drivers side fender.
They were identical to period fire trucks except for being unchromed.
Also fitted to the M26 Sterling "Dragon Wagon".

View attachment 855624
View attachment 855625
That is NEAT and would be really cool to have!
Guess we aren't quite old enough to have seen one in "real life" on the open road...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
50.000 lbs barreling down the road at 40 mph needed the attention of other drivers.

Wreckers today look like rubber-tired christmas trees for all the lights...

DG
I have to agree... Got a local wrecker company here in town with a couple of rotators. They are lit up like a christmas tree for sure. Impressive for sure!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks