• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reed switch fuel sending unit

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I rebuilt my fuel tank I decided to go with the fuel sending unit that did not have the float arm, I thought it would be handy with all the mods I had to make for the Duramax install not to have to worry about the float arm, as it turns out that sending unit is what is called a reed switch sending unit, just be aware if you use it appears you will only have 5 "steps" ever registering on the gauge, these are approximately Empty, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full and for the most part is about 1/4 tank behind, empty can be anything up to 5 gal and it almost immediately comes of of full to about 3/4 just a few miles after you fill up.
sender.jpg

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
TRUE. When I replaced my tank and upgraded to the "float-less" sender... thought this would be a good headache free addition. Looking it over, I could see how it worked with fixed reed switches and resistors. With the discrete measuring points full to empty it take a bit to get use to.

If it gives me trouble... it's coming out and back to old school. Kinda like the analog variable resistor style better. Easier to gauge distance to empty / consumption / mileage driven and the needle wiggle of sloshing fuel.

One has to re-calibrate the brain has to what is really in the tank. Had to crawl under truck and "eyeball' what was really in there. Like posted above...tracking range and empty and still have 5 + gallons. Guess that's one good feature????

Digital age on the HumV ??.. maybe not so much, CAMO

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Completely normal, Ive been using and installing the new style for years, the only benefit is the gauge doesn’t bounce around, i tell folks that when it hits a 1/4, start looking for a gas station.
I have several NOS ping pong ball older version, I put that in an M998 that was bad, worked perfectly, no bounce and worked as it should, so find the older NOS version and give it a try, the early version had a cork float, 2nd edition was ping pong ball.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone years ago told me on the float-less type...They carefully drilled the tiny fuel inlet holes bigger to allow fuel to go in and out faster, and it worked better.....I have a bunch of them....maybe I'll try it some day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks