• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering a Deuce Historical in NY

BT3583

Hello all, I finally will be getting my Deuce! She's has a transferable title from PA, my question is when filling out the MV-82 form how should I classify it since I'm going with historical. Is it considered a commercial vehicle or should I do it as passenger? Obviously if this was a new truck it would be commercial. I'm confused has to how to fill out the registration form, and trying to get in touch with the DMV now is impossible! So if anyone out there has registered your Deuce historical in NY, how'd you do it? Is there a negative registering as historical? She won't be a daily driver, more of a weekend fun machine. I do have historical insurance on it now. I appreciate the help and certainly hope to contribute to the forum in the future!

Attachments

Last edited:

HDN

Congratulations on getting your new truck! When I registered my truck as historical, I marked it as a passenger vehicle. As far as the DMV is concerned, the truck is a 14,000 lb pickup.

Whereabouts are you located? It's my experience that the DMVs located near rural communities won't care as much about what you're registering compared to cities. And don't mention military or M anything, otherwise you'll just confuse the DMV folks.

BT3583

Congratulations on getting your new truck! When I registered my truck as historical, I marked it as a passenger vehicle. As far as the DMV is concerned, the truck is a 14,000 lb pickup.

Whereabouts are you located? It's my experience that the DMVs located near rural communities won't care as much about what you're registering compared to cities. And don't mention military or M anything, otherwise you'll just confuse the DMV folks.
Thank you! I’m down in the Hudson Valley, going to end up just doing by mail. I think I’m going to follow your lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HDN

One of my friends recently registered a HMMWV historical by mail and didn't have any trouble.

What does its title or transferable registration call it? Mine is an "AM/GE P/U".

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my friends recently registered a HMMWV historical by mail and didn't have any trouble.

What does its title or transferable registration call it? Mine is an "AM/GE P/U".
Not sure about a Deuce but my M1008 and M1009 are both registered Historic in NY and registered as passenger vehicles. No issues that I recall during the registration process

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My transferable registration had it listed as a 1970 JEEP STAK I guess for stake body.

I didn't mess with it. Took the DMV manager to get involved as the VIN is short. I didn't say anything about military just that it is a big old truck.

No issues.

BT3583

The title says “AM/GE

HDN

My transferable registration had it listed as a 1970 JEEP STAK I guess for stake body.

I didn't mess with it. Took the DMV manager to get involved as the VIN is short. I didn't say anything about military just that it is a big old truck.

No issues.
I guess the DMV I took my truck's title to is used to dealing with vehicles with short VINs. The clerk up front handled it without trouble besides questioning the weight of the pick-up :LOL: I told her that I'm part of a truck restoration group and that my buddies had no issues with that with their trucks. She accepted that and went through with processing the paperwork.

BT3583

I am no expert but just put it through the way it was. You might do the same. Sounds like it has precedent seeing as HDN has nearly the same thing.
I think that’s the way I’m going to go, let it ride the way it is and see what happens. Being that I’m going the historical route and doing it through mail it needs to go to the custom plate division, I’ve dealt with them before getting plates for my motorcycle and they were super friendly and helpful. Thanks guys!

Reactions: HDN
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks