• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering Diesel trucks in CA

Has anyone tried to registering a 2.5 or 5 ton in bought from GL, GSA, Forest Service, or county recently and only got a form 97? I was at a county auction today and was told all the IH 10 yard dump trucks with DT466's sold there could not be registered. They has their sn's sent to DMV to be blocked. The trucks had to be taken out of state or at least the engines by 12/31 of this year. If the truck and engine was to remain in the state the engine has to be rendered useless (hole in the block). This was due to emissions. Does this mean we can't register our trucks that we bought and still have form 97's???? I am curious if this affects registering as Historical Vehices?

Jones

I looked over the dmv.ca.gov website and didn't see anything related to restrictions on registering diesel-powered vehicles. I'd probably pay my local DMV a visit with VIN in hand and see what happens when the counter clerk enters the number into the system. If they're flagged, it'll show it when the number is pulled up. Otherwise, it's just the usual hoops to jump throughl; read up on registering vehicles without current title 'cause you may end up leading the clerk through the process. Count on having to have the VIN and motive power verified by DMV rep. or LE officer, filling out a Statement Of Facts form, and getting a weight certificate. Same way I have to when I register an antique vehicle with Year Of Manufacture plates.
By all means; be polite. Nothing will bring the process to a screeching halt faster than a P.O.d clerk. If you don't like the answers you're getting, thank them and come back in a week or two and get a different clerk, hopefully one more familiar with the process. Nothing shady or under-handed about doing it this way; just keep in mind that they're not all geniuses down there.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're starting to see this at work. The above regs are for "haul for fee" trucks, bassically any truck that hauls a load to a dump that they have charged someone for. Doesn't matter if a person has 1 truck or 20. The truck you are looking at might very well fall into this catagory and had the vin flagged. I have people come into the shop about 1 or 2 times a week now with a letter from CARB stating that they own an old truck and they need to repower it with a new engine or scrap it. People aren't too happy when they hear it will cost 20K to re power their truck. Most of the people are just regular workin folk and can't afford a newer truck.

kcimb

Re: RE: Registering Diesel trucks in CA

WillWagner said:
We're starting to see this at work. The above regs are for "haul for fee" trucks, bassically any truck that hauls a load to a dump that they have charged someone for. Doesn't matter if a person has 1 truck or 20. The truck you are looking at might very well fall into this catagory and had the vin flagged. I have people come into the shop about 1 or 2 times a week now with a letter from CARB stating that they own an old truck and they need to repower it with a new engine or scrap it. People aren't too happy when they hear it will cost 20K to re power their truck. Most of the people are just regular workin folk and can't afford a newer truck.
I'd sure like to see them go after the Mexican trucks like that.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Registering Diesel trucks in CA

They are. CARB is doing inspections of the data tags on engines. If it wasn't built for US operations, the truck will be taken then and there. If the tag isn't there, a citation is issued and that's when I see these guys. I get the ESN off of the block and get a tag for them, but since I can only ge them for engines made for the US, the south of the border market engines don't get one and the truck is taken off the road. I think the ticket is $600.00 and it's $100.00 for the tag.You'd be amazed at the POS things driving around. My '68 duece is in better condition than these junkers. I don't know how they pass BIT. I'll have to snap some pics of the poop that rolls thru the shop for data tags.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks