• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reinforcing m1009 rear bumper

Joey7

This is my first real fab job. I welded up a tire carrier and mounted it to my stock bumper while welding in some reinforcements. Which in hind sight wasn't enough. So I have way too much bumper flex with a tire mounted to the bumper. My thinking is weld a long piece of square tubing either behind the bumper or on the face of the bumper which the tire carrier pivots off of. Any advice would be much appreciated. I haven't seen anyone else do this with a stock bumper

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Barrman

The stock rear bumper is very flimsy as you have already figured out. I suggest starting from scratch or some kind of swing away mount that slides onto the shackle hook mounts. The shackle mounts are the most rigid and reinforced thing back there. Your add on receiver hitch is probably just as strong as well.

Joey7

Yeah maybe I can repurpose it as a Jerry can holder or something if I have to. What do you suggest? Something where it pivots off the d Ring mounts, or just latches to them?

Finnegan1008

If it were me, I would make something that plugs into the hitch. And I would try to keep the weight centered over the receiver.

Or if I had to have the tire offset I would make a whole rear bumper out of plate and have lots of mounting surface area on the frame rails

nyoffroad

This is my first real fab job. I welded up a tire carrier and mounted it to my stock bumper while welding in some reinforcements. Which in hind sight wasn't enough. So I have way too much bumper flex with a tire mounted to the bumper. My thinking is weld a long piece of square tubing either behind the bumper or on the face of the bumper which the tire carrier pivots off of. Any advice would be much appreciated. I haven't seen anyone else do this with a stock bumper

I think you might get away with what you have by extending the arm that goes to the hinge. Basically move everything to the left so the hinge is mounted at the 2 bumper bolts, that way you have the bumper reinforcement bracket to help and can 'beef' that up some.
Failing that, an A frame mount mounted to both tie downs that drops down to the ground so the gate can open. That would keep weight centered, and the hitch free and help fix the blind spot a tire would have on the right side. Just a thought

cucvrus

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks