• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rejuvenating Batteries - How do you do it?

houdel

In many postings regarding batteries I've noticed comments regarding rejuvenating batteries. How is this done and where do you get the materials? Is it necessary to remove the old electrolite during the process?

Is there a date code on 6TL batteries? Where is it found and how is it interpreted?

Also, are the plastic battery boxes a worthwhile investment?

I don't have MY deuce yet, should be picking it up next week, but I suspect the batteries are going to need some help (or replacement!).

Thanks, Lee

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
There was an article in military vehicle magazines a while back. Basically empty out the old acid, flush the batteries out real good with fresh water, i think there might be a cleaner to get the plates cleaned off then you put in new acid. When I got my truck, the batteries were dead. I put a charge on them, after topping off the water levels and now I can leave my truck sitting for over a month and it will fire right up after only 1 second of touching the start button. I'm sure somebody on here can upload the article, I have no idea how to.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hello,

been there....done/doing that......with mush success too.........the chemical u need is EDTA tetrasodium salt ...............most chemical companies will not sell to individuals b/c of homeland security........but my experience in photography has come in handy here as it is also used in kalliotype plate development.......Any well stocked photo shop should have it (you can only buy it in amounts totaling one pound or less-- but one pound will do about 8 batteries)......If not the photo shop then go online to the photographersformulary.com............. Put about a tablespoonful in each cell and fill with really hot water........let it sit for a while then flush out.........(i like to repeat the process on each cel but i have been told its not that necessary)..............after flushing fill with acid and you are good to go.........there are limits though......if the battery is to the point that the plates are starting to warp from the corrosion....then its dead.................. but if the batt holds some form of charge (doesnt have to be full just some voltage across the plates)..........then there is hope for it

Ziggy

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Ziggy! Good ourline of the procedure.

I tried it a couple of years ago, but was not very successful. Got 4ea "scrapped" 6TL's now and may try it again.

Here is a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/EDTA-restores-l...6041407843QQcategoryZ3240QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The description for this auction includes lots of references to "How to" procedures.
David Doyle also wrote a piece in MVM on this, perhaps a year ago, not sure.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The nice thing about DDs article is it deals directly with the 6TL and 6TN batteries. Civilian type batteries have less of a success rate. I've been sitting on a hlaf dozen 6TL batteries for some time now and need to get off my can and get to work.

rdixiemiller

Here is my battery rejuvenation procedure when your military batteries have died:
1) Remove batteries from military vehicle.
2) Load batteries on the back of my pickup and drive around for a while to really shake them up.
3) Stop off at the local Advance Auto Parts, walk inside.
4) Pay $140 and they will bring your new batteries out to the truck, load them on, and take the old ones back inside.
5) Go home, install new batteries with 4 year nationwide warranty.
6) Enjoy the truck!

Works every time, and the peace of mind is well worth the price. Plus, you do not have to deal with disposing the old acid (EPD regulated hazardous waste for acid/lead).
I have some heavy duty plastic totes that make excellent battery boxes for 2 heavy duty pickup truck type batteries.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently, 2 weeks ago, brought my deuce back from the dead. It was sitting in a city yard for 8 years, it came from El Toro. The batteries had 0 volts. I checked with the battery supplier (ABC battery) for the Co. I work for, and he said if the the plates don't look too sulfated when you look in the fill holes, leave them in series, hook a charger to them on the highest 24v setting, (Cranking assist), and let them charge 12-14 hours, then back the charger down to a charge setting and charge for 24 hrs. I did this, and after the cycle, load tested them with a 1000 amp Associated load tester, and they were like new! They are in the truck, start it every time and I had to do no fluid changes. By the way, they are 6TL"s with a date code on them of 09-90.

2 questions:

Who has 24 volt chargers, cost?
I assume that you open all the cells when charing on "Full Throttle" for that long.

Where do you get the sulfuric acid for the batteries? Cost?

I have seen batteries listed here in some threads with the pricing hovering at around $80-$100 ea. Is this a cost effective method? I am ready to try this with some old batteries I have here.

Film at 11

devilman96

*Ugh*... The mechanic in me cant keep my mouth shut!!!! lol

Murphy's Law... If it can happen it will happen and it will always happen to me at the WORST possible time and with the simplest of failures... This is my approach to batteries... If they are out of warranty I go the route of dixiemiller. Military batteries are great but have a life like everything else. There are civilian batteries that will far exceed Mil spec but you have to know what your shopping for.

I personally stick with gel cells in most everything I deal with. No LEAKAGE, less weight, higher CCA and RC factors, great vibration and heat tolerance, NO LEAKAGE, high cycle life, good storage ability, did I mention no leakage?

There is a good tech article at http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden//carfaq7.htm that puts batteries in plan English. Its non bias and takes a well rounded approach to explaining all of the factors involved.

rdixiemiller

Disposing of old acid is a problem. It must be neutralized with caustic (CAREFULLY!!), then treated to precipitatre the lead. The lead is an EPD hazmat, so must be dealt with appropriately.
My main concern would be getting stranded by a "rejuvenated" battery.
I will be replacing my 6TL and Autozone battery with a pair of gel cells. The big Autozone battery will go in my little Nissan, the 6TL will go to a battery reclaimer.
This is one area I just don't try to skimp, it has always bittem me on the A** when I tried.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks